1156 led - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
1156 led

I was wondering if anybody has tried the LED retro fit bulbs for back up lights? I feel like the traditional 32 watt bulb illuminates nothing when backing up at night. I see that you can get a 50 watt 1156 bulb but was worried it would be too hot for the original wiring harness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 06:55 PM

LED High intensity would be what I would use. But even then the light from those bulbs is Omni-Directional and you really want a focused light beam for a back up lamp. There are a lot of off road lamps that are easy to mount beneath the bumper that will turn night to day behind your car and are only four inches square and about an inch thick.

https://www.hidnation.com/collection...-fog-light-bar

combined with a

https://www.hidnation.com/collection...led-spot-light

Big Dave
mounted under the bumper will allow you to see.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the suggestion Big Dave, however I don't know if I would care for the look of something mounted to the bumper. I was thinking about maybe trying these out.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...-car/884/2191/

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
UPDATE: If anyone is interested in upgrading their back up lamps I would highly recommend the bulbs from the link I posted. The picture may not do justice of how much brighter and focused the new LED are (driver side is stock, passenger is LED).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170426_172536_1493507148841.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	17737  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 07:14 AM

Garage
With that kind of bulbs, can we install sequential tail lights?

'66 Impala
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 11:32 AM

You can install any lamp that fits the socket. Unless that socket is crimped into the reflector (like on these old GM cars) you could easily change the socket to accept any lamp base, but to do so requires a separate ground wire (and figuring out how to mount the socket so it doesn't fall out).

Sequential flashing lights are not about the lamp or the socket but the flasher and the circuitry. You can not sequentially flash a rear lamp where they are all powered by one wire, it has to have three separate power leads if you want to flash three lamps. The flasher itself can be an electric 12 volt motor spinning a rotating disc that has contacts on the disc for the lights to illuminate (analog) or a computer circuit that amplifies a decay counter to fire the lights sequentially (digital). Either way to need to add four wires to the cars wiring to light the rear lamps sequentially. This assumes three lamps per side but you can add more lights for a greater affect.

In 1965, the analog motorized turn signal flasher was first fitted on Thunderbirds, soon after followed by Mercury Cougars (1968-1970), and the Shelby Mustang (1968-1970), and the 1969 only Chrysler Imperial. Rock Auto may have these flashers still on the shelf as a replacement part. Modern Shelby Cobras have the digital flasher which is wired into their harness as opposed to a separate part. Suppose it can be picked out but it will be expensive.

Big Dave
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Sequential like the Mustang? I think they make a kit for it but it would require a lot more wires I believe. I also upgraded the 1157 bulbs with led from the same site. They have a "warm" light with the stock style glass cover. If you only upgrade the rear and keep incondencent bulbs in the front markers you will not need to replace the stock flasher. I had that at first but ended up replaceing the markes with led too. You can get a flasher that fits the stock location and stock plug, you have to just add an external ground (hooked mine to the radio ground since its close by).

Another thing to consider is even though the led is a warm light, it still washes out the lenses a little bit (brake lights looked orange and markers looked yellow). I just took a red Sharpe and colored the taillights and an orange one for the markers. Now they look like the stock color but are much brighter and you get that instant on/off instead of the traditional fade in and out. Much safer that way.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ofit-car/1689/

Last edited by AngryForest; 08-13-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page