Horn Relay/Horn Contact/Grounding issues? - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Horn Relay/Horn Contact/Grounding issues?

Okay, I'm posting this topic on this here thread because I started to wander off in this topic on an unrelated thread.

Here it is... I replaced the Horn Contact Kit and Turn signal Kit. Since doing so... My Horn Relay I believe stays on all the time. (Side note, i have no horns on my car. Previous owner took them off??? Whatever)

So... here's what i have... .If i unhook/unplug the harmonica style looking wiring connectors (horn and turn signal wires?) from the steering column, and connect the negative battery cable, nothing happens. No clicks, not a thing. Hence... battery isn't slowly draining.

Soon as i connect the harmonica looking wires... and connect the negative cable... it clicks immediately.
Here's how i've hooked up the horn contact kit; horn plunger through steering wheel. Sand the front portion of the steering wheel very well, contact ring, bushing, horn ring, triangle busing with screws. Hook up negative cable... CLICK.

Where am I going wrong?
The horn relay turns on when horn contact grounds right? Therefore completing the circuit???? I'm not sure what's happening. Maybe the plunger portion is too tall? that copper/brass looking button sticks out roughly a 1/4 inch. I'll get some pictures here in a bit.

Thanks y'all

Mark

'65 Impala SS
'71 Super Beetle
2011 Dodge 2500 6.7L Cummins
2013 GMC Acadia
2014 Corvette Stingray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Oh man.. by the way, it's a 65 SS. The whole reason this started was because my battery (new a week ago) died after two starts and me traveling for a week for work. I've pretty much narrowed it down to something horn related since the relay clicks / engages once i connect or even graze the negative battery cable to the battery.

MB

'65 Impala SS
'71 Super Beetle
2013 GMC Acadia
2014 Corvette Stingray
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 02:46 PM

The problem with the factory manuals is that they are written for trained mechanics at the dealership who have been removing and replacing Chevy parts for years. Since the steering column was installed as an integral part on the assembly line the Assembly manual doesn't help so far as exploded views of the horn button or turn signal install.

This is where a Chilton's or Motor's Service manuals can be of help as they are addressed not to the professional mechanic but the shade tree mechanic working on his own car. They offer more illustrations better for an amateur mechanic diagnostics and step by step instructions on how to R&R parts.

You want to buy a book that includes your model year but a couple of years older so that things like Disc brakes or newer safety features are included so that you will know how to install them should you want to.

Here is one for $1.94 cents (they are usually priced at $45 to $60 bucks).

https://www.amazon.com/Chiltons-Auto.../dp/0801963281

Big Dave

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Figured it out. It was the turn signal mechanism. The Black wire that attaches to it, was in the "Center groove" as it weaves up and down a few times before it heads down with the rest of the loom. The "claws" from the steering shaft was touching it and nicked the wire which sohappens to be a hot wire. Anyway... put the wire where it belongs, taped up over the bare wire portion (literally maybe only a 1/16th of an inch or smaller portion, and now we're back in business.

MB

'65 Impala SS
'71 Super Beetle
2013 GMC Acadia
2014 Corvette Stingray
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 11:30 PM

I hope I just found the solution to a problem I've just got after swapping the turn signal mechanism!
Are you saying that the black wire had actually been cut so was exposed and touching?
I didn't see any nicks but I'll go back and look.

Thanks
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 12:47 PM

As I said in another post I have usually discovered that the wire grounds out because when stuffing everything back into the column the wire bends instead of going down where it belongs and is crushed by the turn signal assembly allowing the flattened insulation to short out the wire.

Big Dave
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 10:17 AM

In case anyone is having this problem, attached is a pic of the turn signal switch with wire routed so it doesn't get nicked and grounds out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2872.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	21770  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page