Hot Lite on 68 - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Hot Lite on 68

Guys I would appreciate any help. My hot light comes on and stays on as soon as I turn the key on my 1968 Impala. I have a temp gauge so I know its not running hot. I looked under the dash and the only culprit I can see is a pink wire that isn't connected to anything. I don't have a wiring diagram to see what it connects to and hate to pull the whole cluster without knowing where it should go. I appreciate any advice you've got.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 08:17 AM

Wire is shorting to ground some where. It is hot out of the fuse box to the light and the wire is hot from that point to the sender where it goes to ground if the motor over heats. Some where the wire is pinched or the insulation has been cut through by the sheet metal of the car.Now it is just a matter of finding out where this short occurs.

You can buy the factory wiring diagram book with big ("C" size print) wiring illustrations for six bucks on line, or down load free "A" or even a two page "B" size copy occasionally.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 12:16 PM

I looked at the wiring diagram, The pink wire is not to the hot light. The sender on the engine should have a dark green wire. Disconnect the sender wire and see if the light goes out; If so, replace the sender. If it stays on, then that wire is shorted to ground somewhere as suggested.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, guys! That was very helpful. I found the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
68 hot light

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page