LS swap help - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

LS swap help

Hello All,

I'm in the process of doing an LS swap on my 72 Impala and I'm stumped on what wires I could completely remove. I'm installing a stand alone engine harness so other than switched ignition signal and starter signal, I'm pretty much set. Which wires can I chuck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 10:23 AM

Welcome to the Team Jim!

Any that do not go to a sensor needed to let the motor run (usually the emissions sensors; though the engine still needs access to the engine's oxygen sensors, just not to the rear, after the cat, sensors). Since you have a '72 you do not need a cat at all unless you live in Calf., or any of the states that follow CA's policy. There are sensors in your carbon can to catch fuel vapors and other useless costs added on to cars because it is easier to make Detroit put on sensors than it is to get rid of a coal fired power plant that is the actual cause of pollution; not your gas tank.

Attached to the motor you need a MAP sensor (Manifold Air Pressure);
some of the more high performance engines also have a Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF) in addition to the MAP;
you also need a Throttled Position sensor (TP);
an Engine Coolant Temperature sensor (ECT);
an Air Inlet Temperature sensor (so you know how hot is is outside as you sit in air conditioned comfort) but mostly so the computer can calculate air density;
an Idle Air Controller sensor (this one causes a lot of problems if you have a non-stock cam);
Crankshaft Position sensor and a Camshaft Position sensor;
a Wide Band Oxygen sensor (modern engines have four, I recommend two);
and finally a Knock sensor.

In addition to this there are sensors in the transmission that the engine uses to control your engine's ignition timing and calculate engine's load as well as shift points for the transmission.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page