location of 69 Impala starter wire junction? - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
location of 69 Impala starter wire junction?

I have a new engine harness because the old one had been somewhat hacked up. Somewhere along the way it looks like the starter wire junction was removed. Can someone describe where it should be located?
I plan to replace it and would prefer to just use the original location.

1969 Imapala convertible build thread here:
https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ghlight=impala
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 02:58 PM

Hi there. I'm at work and do not have any of the cars near me at the moment but it sounds like you are referring to the distribution terminal that is equipped on some, but not all, GM cars. I can't recall what a 69 normally has but typically on a normal setup there are only two main wires. The wire from ignition switch for the solenoid which usually goes to the small stud with "S" on it usually in purple for GM cars. And then, the other thick gauge wire that goes to the battery positive.

On some cars GM did use the larger starter lug as a power distribution terminal, so you often find some extra wires connected there, with fusible links. I remember that on an old C10 truck I had where the large lug provides the primary power to the fusebox and also the connection to the alternator to charge the battery. If that is the case for your application, just run the hot wire to the big stud and the ignition to the smaller one (assuming I understood your question).

I'm sure others will chime in but I will try to better confirm this evening if I can get over to where my cars are.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 03:30 PM

It almost sounds like you are describing the Ford-type remote starter solenoid, which GM cars typically do not have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page