First my right brake lights went out, then left... - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
BA.

First my right brake lights went out, then left...

My friend noted that when I backed out of the garage that only my left 3 brake lights were on. None on the right side. This is new, that's never been a problem before. Then, on our drive to the cruise-in, I lost the left side brake lights.
Interestingly, all of the tail-lights and EVEN THE BLINKERS are working.

So, I checked out the brake-lights switch at the brake pedal and it's getting power and Ohm'd out to be working as it should.
My dilemma is that this diagram shows the white wire coming out of the brake switch going to the turn signal plastic unit inside the steering hub area. I don't see a white wire there. My brake switch wire goes into the harness and gets lost.

Maybe coincidentally, I did try to use my Parking Brake for the first time a few days ago and I didn't think that would have anything to do with the brake lights, I oddly found this orange and white wire in a connector next to the parking brake. There's nothing plugged into it and I do not see any connector around for it. My suspicion is that it's not really related, just coincidentally the same color wire pair.

Judging from the diagram, since my blinkers work, there's some kind of issue with the 12V coming off the brake switch going to ......where-ever it goes. Anyone know where it goes?
Anyone have any experience here that might help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Impala Wiring diagram schematic Full 3.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	18897  

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432

Last edited by BA.; 10-15-2017 at 07:56 PM. Reason: attachment didn't work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
BA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA. View Post
My friend noted that when I backed out of the garage that only my left 3 brake lights were on. None on the right side. This is new, that's never been a problem before. Then, on our drive to the cruise-in, I lost the left side brake lights.
Interestingly, all of the tail-lights and EVEN THE BLINKERS are working.

So, I checked out the brake-lights switch at the brake pedal and it's getting power and Ohm'd out to be working as it should.
My dilemma is that this diagram shows the white wire coming out of the brake switch going to the turn signal plastic unit inside the steering hub area. I don't see a white wire there. My brake switch wire goes into the harness and gets lost.

Maybe coincidentally, I did try to use my Parking Brake for the first time a few days ago and I didn't think that would have anything to do with the brake lights, I oddly found this orange and white wire in a connector next to the parking brake. There's nothing plugged into it and I do not see any connector around for it. My suspicion is that it's not really related, just coincidentally the same color wire pair.

Judging from the diagram, since my blinkers work, there's some kind of issue with the 12V coming off the brake switch going to ......where-ever it goes. Anyone know where it goes?
Anyone have any experience here that might help?
The mystery, coincidentally similar wires and brake switch.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
BA.

Quote:
The mystery, coincidentally similar wires and brake switch.

I noticed the orange and white wire around the kick panel appears to be related to the door jam button. Assume it's for a buzzer or floor lights.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
BA.

Quote:
I noticed the orange and white wire around the kick panel appears to be related to the door jam button. Assume it's for a buzzer or floor lights.

I absolutely hate these turn signal switches. I have no idea which post should have power when I apply the brakes

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 01:46 AM

Remove that squiggly shaped flat contact in the switch and scuff it up good where it contacts the posts. Also scuff the posts and when you reinstall it, you may find it's all good again. I had the same issue years back and resolved it that way.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
BA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post
Remove that squiggly shaped flat contact in the switch and scuff it up good where it contacts the posts. Also scuff the posts and when you reinstall it, you may find it's all good again. I had the same issue years back and resolved it that way.
Thanks for the Pro Tip. Good idea!

I went ahead and did that tonight. Got a close up picture too. It looks like things got hot in there at some point. I was hoping that the tiny bit of melted plastic on that center post was causing contact issues, so I cut it that out.
Sadly, that wasn't the only issue, as I've been able to uncover 2 new symptoms.
1. Flasher keeps ticking after lever in normal position. (Both tails flashing, or sometimes just one tail.)
2. For a little bit, I had one side brake lights, then later both. Now none again.

I'm clearly in the right area of the problem. POS.
Oh yeah, this is only like 2yrs old and maybe 1000 miles.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 11:11 PM

Cancel cam got very toasty. I am wondering if there may be a pinched wire in the steering column?

Big Dave
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 01:10 AM

Oh, is that a reproduction switch? I've heard the quality on them is a bit scary.

I had bought an NOS switch for mine before I realized I could repair it and make it work. I got the original working fine by cleaning it all up but then I put the NOS piece in anyway, since I had it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
BA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post
Oh, is that a reproduction switch? I've heard the quality on them is a bit scary.

I had bought an NOS switch for mine before I realized I could repair it and make it work. I got the original working fine by cleaning it all up but then I put the NOS piece in anyway, since I had it.
Yep, it's a repop. My 2nd one. I do not like them.
It's actually made me consider a brand new, tilt column. Yes they are expensive but at least it should work and the tilt is a bonus. And I get rid of the little column shift nub.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page