Wiper motor removal - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steveman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wiper motor removal

Ok, probably a dumb question, but how do you remove the wiper motor from a 69 imp? The obvious removal from the firewall is straightforward, but how do you disconnect it from the wiper arms? There is a nut on the back side of the motor (inside the firewall), but it doesn't seem like this should be necessary for removal.

second dumb question (I have lots of em). There is an arm attached to the wiper arm (where the blade attaches), which, in my case, is not attached to anything at the car side of the arm. Yes, its lets try to fix the wipers Tuesday.

Any help for this newbie would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171017_205543~01.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	18985  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 07:38 AM

Do you have a copy of your car's assembly manual. It shows how it comes apart as well as how it goes together by way of an exploded view diagram. There are also copies around on the web of old Chilton's or Motor's service manuals that explain the procedure (wrist bone is attached to the arm bone by way of two quarter twenty nuts with lock washer...).

https://www.lategreatchevy.com/full-...nual-1969.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHILTONS-AU...-/221979964769

If you are missing parts you will need to replace them from off of another parts car as they are not made as a replacement service part or offered as a reproduction restoration part.

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 07:39 PM

On my 67 (which I'm pretty sure doesn't have a 67 wiper motor but I'm sure it's all the same) I had to undo the nut that doesn't look like it should come off. It screws onto a mount that has flat sides so the arm only fits one way.

You can normally pull the wiper motor forward enough to get a ring spanner on it. Just don't lose the nut. It's also fiddly to put back on with only two hands, because of the risk of losing the nut. Don't ask how I know....

Oh, and don't lose the nut.
miterry likes this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So I shouldn't lose the nut. Got the motor off by removing the grommet/cover on the firewall and taking the nut off (thank god for ratcheting wrenches). Will have to bench test it next to see if the motor is the problem (it looks like I have power to the motor). Noticed something interesting upon removal - the wiring has three wires for the speeds, but there is a 4th terminal on the motor.

The motor grounds to the firewall I think, but I didn't see any ground strap and it seems that it bolts on with rubber holders. Couldn't figure this out (although there are wires on the casing of the actual motor).

Can't wait to finish this so I can try to figure out why my front passenger floors are wet even though the car is in the garage (although this did help me discover that someone coated the floor pan in long strand fiberglass).

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171018_204850.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	19009  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 03:48 AM

Glad you didn't lose your nut.

In your pic the copper strap you can see is attached to one of the screws that hold the motor to the firewall, and the other end is screwed into the hole that attaches the terminals. Not sure what your 4th terminal is for? The wires from the motor are connected to the back of the terminal block.

Weirdly my motor works without the copper earth strap attached. Maybe despite the rubber mounts there is enough metal contact with the screws into the firewall. Check out a few of the wiper motor Youtube vids. You'll soon figure out how to test it and how it all works.

I took my motor to bits because it only worked double speed and wouldn't stop unless you turned off the key. I replaced the terminal block and the wiper switch but turns out the issue was a break in one of the earth wires.

Good luck with it. And careful putting the nut back on. Just saying....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
wipers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page