67 Headlight Switch Repair - Smoke - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

1Likes
  • 1 Post By BigDogSS

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

67 Headlight Switch Repair - Smoke

Hey guys, my 67 4dr hardtop finally got delivered yesterday and have a few repairs. The first is related to the headlight switch, which for some reason starts pouring out smoke when pulled out to the 2nd position for headlights. It works, but i need to take it apart and check for any frayed wires that are likely burning the plastic. Can someone tell me how to remove this from the console so i can check the wiring? Do i have to remove the entire dashboard to get to it?

For reference, i've attached a picture. It's the button on the far left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	impala8.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	19857  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 01:20 PM

To remove the headlight switch, you need to remove the knob/rod from the body of the switch. This is the part that you pull out to turn on the lights. Reach under the dash and locate the switch. There is a small button. Depress it and pull out knob/rod. Once this is removed, unscrew the retainer and the body of switch can be pulled out from the back/underneath the dash.
James310 likes this.

1967 Chevrolet Impala SS convertible - Ermine White C1
1967 Chevrolet Impala SS 396 - Marina Blue FF
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Thank you!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 01:33 PM

First thing you do is disconnect the battery from the car before you work on any circuit in the car.

The fact that it is smoking now tells me you have a short somewhere that needs to be traced to find it.

Big Dave
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 05:43 AM

You can buy a new switch at almost any auto parts store for cheap. Do not repair.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

The headlight switch started smoking again so I bought a replacement and the second i plugged it in the new one started smoking as well. Any thoughts on what could be causing this? Short? Ground? Another defective switch?

Also, and this is probably related, my brake switch wouldn't work even though the lights worked fine for the hazards and turn signals. I found that the white power wire on the turns signal switch harness connector/adapter had melted some of the plastic around it ruining the connection, when i reconnected it the brakes worked. I've ordered a replacement and have temporarily fixed it in the meantime.

Clearly there's some sort of problem with the wiring but I don't know what it could be or how to find it. Could use some guidance or thoughts on what to do and what it could be. I'm inexperienced with car repairs so thinking the best thing to do is take it to a professional so I don't mess anything up trying to fix it myself, but am going to give it one last thorough look over before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Turn Signal Switch.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	21664  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 02:32 PM

I would be considering buying a replacement wiring harness from AAW:

https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...s/cg71900.html

Big Dave
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 03:06 PM

Garage
I would consider buying a Assembly manual on ebay and start there before dumping money in new parts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 10:09 AM

does your wiring harness have a lot of splices in it?

It sounds like you either had a shade tree mechanic cutting and splicing for aftermarket accessories or repairs or a previous rodent issue.

If your not going back to stock I would look at one of the aftermarket wiring harnesses and having a fun winter project. Otherwise they do re-manufacture stock wiring harnesses with the correct fuse block, but they will cost you.

If I was trouble shooting your existing harness it sounds like you have a short to ground between the switch and headlights. This creates an excessive draw through the switch when you turn on the head lights as it no longer sees the resistance of the actual head lamp. You need a wiring diagram for your car which I believe is in the assembly manual or the service manual for your car. Then you need a good multi meter to start working your way through the troubled circuits on your car. This can be a time consuming process and generally requires a lot of patience and a 6 pack of beer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1967 impala, headlight

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page