66 SS Horn - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

66 SS Horn

Okay, so after getting my steering back together with new turn signal and new horn ring set, I still had no horn. So up to the front to work on the horn itself. After a while on a direct 12 volt current, I finally got the horn to make sounds. So back in, and still no horn. I finally replaced the horn relay, but now when I hook it all back up, the horn sounds constantly. It won't shut off. Below is a picture. The one relay to the right of the green wire had a black wire attached to it. But like I said, when connected, constant horn. I connected everything as it was when I took off the old relay. Any ideas??

Ed
66 Impala SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 03:28 PM

Sounds like your problem is in the steering column. Pull the horn cap - ring off and check if the round contact isn't grounded out.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 10:16 PM

Horn

Agree, sound more like a problem in the column than anything else.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Yep, that's what the other forum said as well. I pulled the horn ring and those parts back off, but I reckon I'll have to pull the steering wheel back off as well and see what's underneath.

Ed
66 Impala SS
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Success! Yep...I had to take the steering wheel back off. Got everything pulled and sure enough, when I put it back together last time, I caught the ground wire in the steering column stuff and it was grounding out. That and the replacement horn ring set is not quite the same. The little "tabs" on the original horn ring that goes between the horn spring and plastic washer thing apparently are a key to making it work properly. The replacement did not have the little tabs on it. If this doesn't make sense, I'll try and get some pics someday.

Ed
66 Impala SS
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Okay, so now that it works, how do I make it work better. It kinda sounds like an old man yelling at his old wife in the retirement home. I don't know if it's the horn itself, or the wiring, or what. Any ideas?

Also, in the manual, the schematics allude to a "high horn" and a "low horn". I only have one horn, but I do have a pigtail off of it that goes to nowhere. Am I supposed to have a dual high/low horn setup?

Ed
66 Impala SS
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 10:51 PM

The extra horn was an an option, standard on more expensive cars.

To see if yours has issues with voltage dropping off from a bad ground or just a lot of resistance in the wiring use a jumper cable made out of ten gauge wire. You then touch the battery's positive terminal with one end of the wire and the power spade with the other (pull factory horn wire off first). If you have a freshly charged battery and you don't think the horn is cutting it one out of a bone yard is easy to acquire . The factory used the same horn from 1953 to present.

There are also diesel electric train horns, wolf whistle, and the popular Aoogah horn used on Ford model T's only made to work with 12 volt systems all for sale in the pages of your J.C. Whitney catalog.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/horns/c2545j1s17.jcwx

Big Dave
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Okay, here's a few pics of my horn. How do I know if it's the low or high horn?

Ed
66 Impala SS
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 07:49 PM

I have the same problem. I replaced the T. S. assembly and hooked up everything.
Sounded like Joshua was under the hood! The ground wire got crushed when I tightened down the wheel. One must be very careful with the install. The horn is disconnected. I can't get the new tight fitting T. S. assembly off. I may install a mini horn button on the column. I saw cool little unit on Ebay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page