What do I need to ground, and where to ground it? - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

What do I need to ground, and where to ground it?

On my '67 Impala, what do I need to connect or ground for the starter to turn over? I have the battery connected. The ground is connected from the engine to the chassis/firewall. The front end is not on and I don't have a radiator support at this point in time. Any help will be appreciated, electrical is not my forte.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 08:22 PM

Put the negative battery cable from the battery post to the engine block.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Sorry Jason, I just realized I was unclear. I have the battery connected to the positive and negative cables (negative is going to the front of the block) the block is grounded to the firewall with that metal flat braided non insulated wire. I am assuming that I need to connect the grounds that would normally be on the radiator support to something and or the horn relay and or the voltage regulator, but what and where since I currently have no radiator support that those things would attach to.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 08:47 PM

The motor will start with out a horn relay. You can "hot wire" it (something every teenager from the fifties and early sixties was adept at doing to joy ride around in the family car). Just be sure there isn't any fresh Chevy Orange paint between the starter motor and the block (or black paint on the bottom of the starter motor either). Any paint is an insulator. Same goes beneath the negative battery terminal grind down to cast iron bolt on the cable and paint if need be the appropriate color after it is connected to the motor.

Big Dave
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Big Dave. So it should turn over with just the battery connected and everything from the radiator support just hanging? It has been sitting for years and I was going to see if it was froze up from rust from sitting, but the idiot lights on the dash didn't even light. The last time it was running was right after I rebuilt the engine and I had the rad support on with radiator and voltage regulator and a ground wire attached to rad support. That said, paint insulating isn't an issue. Does the voltage regulator need grounded? The ground wire that would normally go on the radiator support?
How would I hot wire it if it came to that?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 10:00 PM

If the starter is wired, and the negative goes to the block, the car will start. Going from memory, the voltage reg is isolation mounted, and has a supplied ground.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Thank you both, Jason and Big Dave. I guess I'll be cleaning up my connections, and trying again.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Update...cleaned all "under hood" connections and got the idiot lights to come on and the solenoid to click when I turned the key. Took the starter out, and took it and the battery to the shop to bench test...both good. Sooo back home and back in the car. At this point thanks are in order for Big Dave's tutorial on bypassing your ignition (hot wiring). Crossed the Solenoid with a screw driver AND IT TURNED OVER! I was prepared for it to be seized as the engine was a fresh rebuild in 1986, broke in but never driven and then I knew it was going to be sitting for a while so I put 5 or so squirts of oil in each cylinder. Did not think that 26 years would go by but life happens! Anyhow, spun it to get oil pressure with daughter watching for idiot light to go out. Put plugs and wires back in place and filled the carb bowel with gas. Had daughter ready to cut engine if it fired and at some point with her orienting to the ignition key positions we discovered that the engine now turns from the ignition key?!?!? Spontanious repairs like "Christine"...I'm gonna have that kid help me as much as I can!!! Could not get it to run, so in the next few days I will find out if the problem is lack of fuel, fire, or compression! I have no idea how the ignition began working, but am SOOO happy I'm not standing on my head tracing wires looking for rodent chewed shorts and/or replacing the ignition!!! Thanks again Big Dave!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page