wiper motor wiring color code - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Smile wiper motor wiring color code

I am about to hook up my wipers in my 65. Do know the color code of the 3 wires used(black/blue/blue & black)?

I am using a after market wiper switch.

Donnie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wipr 001.jpg
Views:	767
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	3048  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 09:37 AM

Here is your wiring diagram.

http://fatchance-hotrods.co.uk/image...%20diagram.jpg

With any DC motor, the applied voltage controls the speed of rotation (higher the voltage, the faster the rotation); and polarity controls the direction of rotation (clockwise or counter-clockwise).

Rotation is critical as you have two micro switches in your motor that turn it off according to the location of the cancel cam. It also starts an analog decay counter to turn off the wiper after four revolutions once you activate the wiper pump which is driven off of another separate cam.

From memory it rotates clock wise when viewed from the front of the car (but that only gives you a 50/50 chance of getting it right; as my memory can not be trusted anymore). You can apply a low voltage (say six volts from a lantern battery) to see which way it moves when connecting power to the two leads that enter the motor (gives you an idea as to which should be hot and which is ground).

Big Dave
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave......but I can not tell the info I am looking for from the diagram.

I need to know what the following wires coming from the connector are for or where they go to.

1. blue wire
2. black wire
3. blue/blk stripped wire

Donnie

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 01:25 PM

According to the wiring diagram the Black and the Black with Blue stripe are the wires that drive the motor (check this against what you see entering the motor). The Blue wire activates the washer fluid pump solenoid that starts the cam counting to pump fluid as the wiper motor turns. As to which of the two wires is hot (Black or Black with Blue stripe) for rotational verification; a volt meter reading at the wiper switch would tell you that.

Big Dave
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Great.....one more thing-how does the motor park if you switch the ground wire, at this point you have no ground to keep the motor running.

It seems like you need to have two grounds (1 switched & 1 not switched).

Does someone know how to wire this?

Donnie
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 02:24 PM

All grounds are via the car sheet metal.

Because the wiper motor mounts in three rubber grommets with a brass liner to protect the grommet from the screw threads there is a single small short flat woven bare copper metal grounding strap that connects the car sheet metal to the isolated electrically wiper motor by way of the mounting screw.

By the way Donnie I know you have your doctorate in engineering, and I am only a lowly holder of a BS in engineering. I am not trying to be condescending in my posts but I am instead attempting to help those who are too bashful to post or ask questions not only what hooks up to what but how things work so that they might be able to puzzle out a solution to a problem. (Personally I have found that understanding the theory first helps me to solve the application problems more easily, though nothing really helps in solving the math part of engineering application problems other than a lot of replication).

Big Dave
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Well......as it turns out my wiper motor does not work.
I can not find a 65 motor for less than $200 so I am
looking to adapt a motor from another GM car.

I'll let you all know what I did in case someone else has
the same problem.

Donnie
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 01:54 PM

There were basically two wiper motors the older round and the newer square. I believe they are interchangeable as to bolting up so a modern pulse wiper might be desirable. Trouble is newer pulse wipers are controlled electrically as opposed to the older analog mechanical system. Here is a new GM Chevy pulse wiper motor:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3606727...Types&var=sbar

Here is a new replacement GM controller (even though it bears no resemblance to the GM part). Just search Google for "pulse wiper motor electrical control module" to see the difference between the knock off and the original.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/ac-delco-oe...Fevm7Aodr2IAzQ
or
http://www.righttoolusa.com/p/Acdelc...FQto7AodW2sAdg

Which still leaves the controlling switch (variable resister) that newer cars have integrated into the turn signal switch. You could probably install a hidden switch under the dash.

And here is a schematic of the complete all digital circuit from switch to motor:

http://www.circuitstoday.com/automat...ontrol-circuit

On older cars it may be more of a problem going digital (which requires a constant voltage power supply not found on older cars), but using parts off of a mid seventies Buick or Caddy you can probably find what you need to upgrade to pulse or delay wipers. Here is an excellent article that covers every part of the upgrade:

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/DelayWipers.htm

Big Dave
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 03:26 PM

remember that the Yellow is hot always (with the key on) and all the switch does is ground for the different functions. Also as Dave pointed out the case needs a good ground too.

Here is a testing process for the wiper motor

you can burn one up by trying to bench test it incorrectly.

http://www.goezinstruments.com/tgoez...torTesting.pdf

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 07:28 AM

Donnie,
Don't you have any salvage yards in your area? The good thing about a wiprer motor is that any 1965 or 1966 Impala you find most likely had one. They are easy to clean up and i'm sure you'll get a better price in a salvage yard.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsc66 View Post
Donnie,
Don't you have any salvage yards in your area? The good thing about a wiprer motor is that any 1965 or 1966 Impala you find most likely had one. They are easy to clean up and i'm sure you'll get a better price in a salvage yard.

Paul
Almost without exception all of the salvage yards in central Florida are commercial operations that only keep car parts for cars currently on the road. No one has a vehicle in their yard that is over twelve years old, most crush what hasn't sold at seven years old to make room for newer cars that sell. No one has the room to retain old classic cars as real state is too valuable (blame Mickey). You have to drive over four hundred miles to the pan handle (called LA for Lower Alabama), there you can find older cars.

Drive up into the hills of north Georgia, or South Carolina on into western North Carolina and you will find fifty acre or larger salvage yards that have every car that ever crossed their property line stacked somewhere (or what is left of it).

Big Dave
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Almost without exception all of the salvage yards in central Florida are commercial operations that only keep car parts for cars currently on the road. No one has a vehicle in their yard that is over twelve years old, most crush what hasn't sold at seven years old to make room for newer cars that sell. No one has the room to retain old classic cars as real state is too valuable (blame Mickey). You have to drive over four hundred miles to the pan handle (called LA for Lower Alabama), there you can find older cars.

Drive up into the hills of north Georgia, or South Carolina on into western North Carolina and you will find fifty acre or larger salvage yards that have every car that ever crossed their property line stacked somewhere (or what is left of it).

Big Dave
Houston, I found out is the same way. There seem to be some pretty good yards in central Texas, and I think Grand Prairie/Arlington has a string of good ones, but I haven't been yet to verify that. Either way about it, you have to drive a fair distance to get to any good yards that have the classics just laying around.

Ed
66 Impala SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page