Brake Light Issue on 64 - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Brake Light Issue on 64

I'm having an issue with the passenger side brake lights. The tail lights and turn signals work on both sides and the brake lights work on the driver's side, but not on the passenger side. I checked the fuse and it is fine. Any suggestions on where to start?

----------------

1964 Impala 2 Door Hardtop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 04:35 PM

check the socket that's not working and the bulb.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 06:48 PM

Since the bulbs work with the turn signal I am going to assume the bulb and ground path are good. The turn signal switch is probably the culprit since it has a circuit that disables the brake light when the turn signal is on (otherwise you would never see the turn signal). If the switch is bad you get no brake light on that side.

Big Dave

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I checked the bulb (and a new bulb) and sockets and they both seem fine. Will look into the turn signal switch this weekend.

----------------

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 09:15 AM

If you are going to check the turn signal switch, it would be good to have a replacement in hand. Tearing the steering column apart to get at the switch is not trivial.

American Autowire makes two versions, one made overseas and one made in the US. Guess which one failed on me within 2 months? Get the US version and save yourself some headaches.

https://www.americanautowire.com/sho...l-switch-5863/

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 11:10 AM

You get what you pay for in auto parts as in most things in life.

NAPA had to compete with national discount auto parts stores by selling cheap import parts because the public wants cheap parts (the Wal-Mart affect).

I and most people on the board would prefer a quality part. Just being made in the US is no longer a guarantee that it is a quality part any more, but most of the older American brands that still have plants here do make quality parts (like Moog, and Timken) provided you ask for the American made part by name. Otherwise it will be a Timken bearing that is made in Malaysia that you get, or the suspension part from India, or the brake part from China that delaminates the first panic stop you try to make.

If you don't ask for the higher priced American part the counter man will not offer it. NAPA has two complete different lines of parts Inferior but cheap, and OEM quality parts that are much more expensive. Shelf space is devoted to the part that makes the store money (but thankfully most towns have a NAPA warehouse with the good part in stock and can have it at your neighborhood store the next morning (the national discount chain has a warehouse also but all it has in stock are discount aka cheaply made parts). I notice that Wal-Mart and discount auto parts stores are spreading like mushrooms, so train your kids and neighbors to ask for the good stuff.

Big Dave
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Looks like American Autowire is out of stock on that. Any other vendors carry it?

----------------

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 04:32 PM

I use Rock Auto parts a lot lately because they offer everything from restoration aftermarket parts, the OEM original parts (usually from AC-Delco for electronics) that Chevy used, or a low quality import part if budget is more important than safety.

This is an OEM quality (3 year warranty) part, which may or may not fix your problem.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...699&cc=1323863

Big Dave
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

So American Autowire did have the part. I got it installed tonight (after some great advice and pictures from dcairns!) and everything is working well! Thanks for your help guys.

----------------

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 11:18 AM

I have a similar problem with my 64 SS. The brake lights on the Pass side will not come back on after using the turn signal unless I jiggle the turn signal arm. I have a 1964 Impala SS with factory tilt wheel. I can find the new turn signal switch for non tilt but none for tilt wheel. Any ideas.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 06:16 PM

Welcome to the Team Joe!

I would suggest looking for a Buick part for your year to see if they stock the turn signal for a tilt wheel, then compare the part number to see if it is the part you want.

Big Dave
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 08:13 PM

Thanks Dave I will try that.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64chevyman View Post
I have a similar problem with my 64 SS. The brake lights on the Pass side will not come back on after using the turn signal unless I jiggle the turn signal arm. I have a 1964 Impala SS with factory tilt wheel. I can find the new turn signal switch for non tilt but none for tilt wheel. Any ideas.

This problem has nothing at all to do with bad grounds. The turn signal and brake use the same filament in the bulb. If your turn signals and tail lamps are working fine, you do not have a bad ground. The turn signal switch dictates how the power from the brake switch is distributed to the brake and turn lamps.

The cable to your 1993624 column mounted switch is not adjusted properly. That is why when you move the turn signal arm, things begin working again (you are re-positioning the neutral point on the switch). If the switch it is not in the completely 100% neutral position, the power into the turn switch from the brake switch (white wire) will only buss over to one side. These have been an issue almost from day one. The best thing to do is adjust the switch in your driving position, because when you tilt it up or down, it slightly changes the position of the cable adjustment which will cause the problem you are having. When these were relatively new, and the cable and yoke in the column had no wear on them, they did OK, but even then could be subject to what you are experiencing. I rebuilt my 65 column with all NOS parts (cable, yoke, pivots, and switch) and it worked really well for about 10 years or so (the yoke and column parts probably started to wear, and the cable started getting a bit sticky I would suppose). After that amount of time, it started to develop the symptoms you are experiencing. I just decided to adjust it to the normal driving position and it has been fine ever since. If I have the wheel raised and try and drive the car, only one side will work as the cable has pulled the switch out of adjustment. Good luck.

Donny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page