67 impala wont start - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

67 impala gear selector

Hi guys,
Couldn't start the impala this morning and believe it is an electrical issue. i have a new battery which is good and starter has just been re-built so that's good to. it was starting fine up until today, now all of a sudden its just dead, no turning over or anything when i turn the key.
i had noticed previously that it wasn't always recognizing when it was in park/neutral (its an auto) and sometimes had to jiggle the column shift to get it in the right spot to start. is there some sort of sensor in here that could need replacing as this would be my first guess? otherwise maybe something to do with the ignition? any help appreciated.

Thanks
Damien

Last edited by dsikkema; 07-27-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

So I have narrowed it down to the starter motor even though it has just been re-built. when I tap with a hammer it fires up no problem, will be right for a few starts then needs tapping again. I'm sure this has been covered somewhere else so I will keep looking.

Thanks
Damien
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 05:40 AM

You apparently have two problems Damien.

First there is a switch, called a neutral safety switch, that keeps the car from starting except when in either park or neutral. It is adjustable as to it's position by way of loosening and tightening a single screw.

You also may consider rebuilding your shifting linkage to remove some slop caused by wear. You can use a Hurst shifter rebuild kit as the bushings used are the same size that Chevy used on their linkage. Just be sure to buy the steel bushings and not the white nylon plastic ones. If your rods are severely worn they can be welded up and then turned down again or ground with a grinder to be round enough to fit in the bushing.

Your sticking starter can be due to bad bushings in the starter motor, or from heat soak. With headers in particular, there is enough radiant heat given off by the tubes to bake the starter motor enough to cause it to swell so much that the armature rubs against the field windings of the stator. If your starter is bad, and you have headers, then consider buying a mini starter (Hitachi) instead. They move the starter further way from the tubes by virtue of their smaller size. Because it is a gear reduction starter motor it can crank over even a big block with ease, though but the small block version as there are differences in the number of teeth on the starter ring between the two engines.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page