Turn signal question - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Turn signal question

Hey all! I have a 63 Impala 2 door I am restoring. The turn signal switch and canceling switch were broke when I bought the car. I got a new turn signal switch and canceling switch from Eklers. I'm pretty sure I ordered the correct one (63 impala no tilt column) that's what my car has. Took the old one out, put the new 1 in pretty straight forward and simple. Now, the turn signal lights in the dash are working properly, but both tail lights flash like I turned on the hazards. The wiring can only be plugged in one way so I'm pretty sure everything is correct. Any ideas????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 10:52 AM

Bad grounds. It is illuminating both lights by feed back through the brake light circuit because the resistance in the ground path exceeds the resistance of the filament in the bulb.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave! How should I go about fixing this resistance issue?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 11:39 AM

By disassembling the light buckets from the car, wire brushing off any rust and cleaning the light bucket to make a good meta to metal contact. Keep in mind that paint is plastic and is an insulator. Zinc rich (weld through) primer will conduct electricity. Most of your electrical connection is via the steel threads of the attaching screws and the body making a good contact. If you have a lot of corrosion attach a few screws and solder the base of the treads where it goes through the metal of the body. then attach the nuts and do the same for the screws you used you hold it in place while you soldered the other holes and made an electrical bridge to the metal. Use Rosin core solder.

Just taking the lights out and reinstalling them usually gets the lights to work again since it is the attaching screws that makes most of the electrical connection.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page