63 will not stay in park - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

63 will not stay in park

My 63 impala will not stay in park. I can mess with the shifter all i want and it will not engage what so ever. I went to start it up and it started rolling in reverse on me. Also I can see the steering column move around when Im steering. Transmission is only a few years old with not much use on it so Its not that. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 10:51 AM

Park is actually neutral. As well as being in neutral park has a pin that pops out and fits into a notch. The pin is made of a soft metal and it can be sheared off if you slam the transmission into park while the car is still moving. Once it is sheared off it won't grow back like hair or toe nails. Only way to get it back is to disassemble the tranny and replace that sheared pin.

Now as for the slop in your linkage and the steering column you can rebuild both. The bushings you need to repair the linkage are made by Mr.Gasket who bought out George Hurst back in 1977. The Hurst steel bushings designed to fit a Hurst shifter were just steel copies of the nylon plastic bushing GM used in their stock linkage. If your plastic bushings are long gone and the steel rods have been wearing away then you may have to weld up the rods and turn them down again in a lathe as well as welding the holes up and boring a new round hole in the shifter levers.

As for the steering column there are new bushings sold by the aftermarket to replace the worn out ones you have now. I will warn you that it is a Chinese finger puzzle inside the column with lots of small parts sitting on top of small springs just waiting on the fool hardy to open it up so they can watch all of the parts explode out and hide in small inaccessible crevices around the garage.

Big Dave
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

I ruled out the transmission. I was able to put it in park by hand under hood, is there any thing in the column that wears out or needing adjustment that may be the root of the problem?

Also is this rubber/metal firewall piece part structural? Mines pretty much fell apart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page