BCM Problem? - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

BCM Problem?

Hey..just another person begging for help here =P

So, I've had my 2002 Impala 3.8L with 123,000 miles for about 3 years now, and recently a bunch of things have gone wrong, including but not limited to my catalytic converter and my radiator needing to be replaced. The car sat for a month or two in between repairs, and the battery died and I had to jump it to start it. (Both have been replaced now.)

Right after that, every time I start the car, the lights (interior lights as well as headlights and gauges) flicker rapidly, and then act normally, with an occasional flickering as I was driving or just parked with the car running. I replaced the battery, but it didn't change anything. (It was time anyway.)

Recently, however, my car has started stalling both while driving and while parked and running. It happens like this; the RPM gauge starts flickering up and down rapidly, while the engine is running normally. Then, it starts losing power, sort of struggles, and then dies. Like its starved for fuel or something. If I try to start it, it won't start unless I have my foot on the gas, and then it will only run until I take my foot off, and while its running it runs VERY rough. If I let the car sit for a few hours, it will start again (sometimes) and drive normally, until it stalls again.

Anyway, I brought it to a mechanic, and he said I would have to take it to a Chevrolet dealer to have my Body Control Module reprogrammed, and that should fix my problem.

I am kind of skeptical about this (I couldn't bring it to my regular mechanic, because he is located 50 miles away, and this guy kind of hurried me out the door after telling me that.) My question is, could these problems be fixed just by having my BCM reprogrammed?

There is no check engine light or any codes at all.

Sorry for the massive amount of text...hopefully someone will be able to help me with this.

Thanks,

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 07:48 PM
BA.

I've don't think it's the BCM, i think he didn't want to work on that problem.

This is mostly an older Impala forum here but it almost sounds like you might have 2 issues. It is hard to be certain from your description that all those symptoms are 100% related.

Frequently, intermittent electrical issues are the result of 1 or more bad grounds, or connectors that are not tight or have water in them.
You could check both ends of both battery cables to ensure they are tight, not corroded and not touching or close to anything they shouldn't be.

You could check the connection at your alternator as well, and the ground from the engine to the body, and the frame to the body/engine.

Have you replaced your fuel filter? Checked spark plugs and wires? (plugs should have been replaced around that 90k-100k mileage range. Ran any fuel injector cleaner ever? Clearly you should never have to put your foot on the gas to start the car. That's a big clue to why it sounds like you have 2 issues here.

I think you could benefit from buying one of these gizmo's and then buying the app. for your phone. (Android or iPhone)
This can not only show you error codes, but show you A/F ratio's, fuel injector status, vacuum, and a ton of other nifty OBDII info.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM-327-Blue...108338&vxp=mtr

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA. View Post
I've don't think it's the BCM, i think he didn't want to work on that problem.

This is mostly an older Impala forum here but it almost sounds like you might have 2 issues. It is hard to be certain from your description that all those symptoms are 100% related.

Frequently, intermittent electrical issues are the result of 1 or more bad grounds, or connectors that are not tight or have water in them.
You could check both ends of both battery cables to ensure they are tight, not corroded and not touching or close to anything they shouldn't be.

You could check the connection at your alternator as well, and the ground from the engine to the body, and the frame to the body/engine.

Have you replaced your fuel filter? Checked spark plugs and wires? (plugs should have been replaced around that 90k-100k mileage range. Ran any fuel injector cleaner ever? Clearly you should never have to put your foot on the gas to start the car. That's a big clue to why it sounds like you have 2 issues here.

I think you could benefit from buying one of these gizmo's and then buying the app. for your phone. (Android or iPhone)
This can not only show you error codes, but show you A/F ratio's, fuel injector status, vacuum, and a ton of other nifty OBDII info.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM-327-Blue...108338&vxp=mtr

I replaced the fuel filter about a week ago, and I also checked both ends of the battery cables. Spark plugs were replaced at 105k or so, and I use STP fuel injector cleaner every time I get an oil change. I put my foot on the gas to start the car because I was stuck in the middle of a highway the first time I stalled, and really did not want to be stuck there

I think I will be picking up one of those scanners. It looks like it could help a lot. Thanks for your help!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 10:11 AM

I love my newer GM vehicles, but hate to work on them. I do all my own maintenance. But when something strange starts happening that I don't understand I turn to a GM dealership mechanic. He works on these kind problems everyday.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 12:40 PM

I have an engineering degree and can design the circuits you need to make a sensor but I am clueless about computer controlled cars even though I worked on them for half a century. If mine breaks it goes back to the dealer under warranty. If out of warranty and it breaks I buy a new truck (Sorry but I couldn't fit in your "Impala" no matter how hard I tried).

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page