1964 Impala slow and stall - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Angry 1964 Impala slow and stall

Hello I have a 1964 Impala with a 327 and powerglide tranny the acceleration is slow like youre stuck in high gear and if I try to brake burn her she stalls out. Any ideas on whats wrong? tranny carb, etc.....?
Thanks,Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 09:35 AM

Sounds like the carb to me but understand a powerglide will slow that car down off the line it basically is in high gear or at least 2nd as it is a 2 speed
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 01:23 PM

That is why the sell torque converters by the "Stall Speed". It allows you to wind up the motor to a higher RPM before it flashes (locks up stalling the motor against the foot brake). The factory converter flashes at about 1400 to 1800 RPM depending upon how much torque your motor generates (the greater the torque the higher the stall speed for a given converter).

Big Dave

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks

I'm pretty sure its not the carb have a new edlebrock 650 on her possibly its not tuned right, but what I did notice today is that the kick down linkage is not hooked up to the throttle linkage. The kick down linkage is there just missing the rod to that comes across to the throttle, could that be the prob?
If so where could I get the rod that comes across or could I just rig something up?
Thanks.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 07:49 AM

You could possibly find one for sale, but it would be faster and not that complicated to fabricateone out of threaded rod possibly. The kick down is not the problem from a dead stop as all it does is drop the tranny into low gear while you are driving to pass someone on the road (sometimes called the passing gear for that reason).

Big Dave

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page