pushing, not pulling? - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

pushing, not pulling?

I have had many, many issues with the proper alignment of my 66 Impala sport 4-door hardtop. After replacing both upper control arm shafts with aftermarket offsets, the alignment is dialed in perfectly.

But it still "pulls" to the left!

So, I think this has to do with the powersteering itself and that perhaps the car is being pushed to the left rather than pulling. Besides, the alignment is dead on . . . no room for pulling. Yes, I have switched all of the tires around too. Tires are not the problem.

Any thoughts? Does the powersteering issue sound like something someone on the board has experienced before? If so, how did y'all correct it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 01:31 PM

A car drifting right or left is due to alignment. Before you retort with the, "I said I just got everything alligned", bear in mind that the frame is what they take their measurments from. If it is bent (from a previous collision) or not square under the car from a previous restoration, the car will crab down the road or pull one way or the other.

Big Dave
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 09:00 PM

actually, it could be the power steering.. an easy test is to jack both front wheels off the ground, center the steering wheel, start it up and race the engine a couple of times..the wheel should not move left or right. if it don't move, then let it idle and see if the effort to turn each way feels the same. that will help you eleminate the p/s as a problem.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Thank you guys! I did jack up the car and tested the powersteering theory. No pulling. Nada. So, back to the frame. I think this may call for an alignment out of factory specs - driving straight is what I am really after.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Problems solved! I FINALLY got someone to align my Impala out of factory specs. -1 on the left, +1 on the right. She drives straight as an arrow now. Thank all of you for your help. This one was driving me crazy ~ glad it's all over now.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 09:39 PM

I was going to say check to make sure you don't have a wheel cylinder hanging up causing brake drag. That would definately make it pull.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

I checked the brake hanging, too. That was not it. After the "alignment", it drives perfect. No pull whatsoever. I don't know why having my car aligned was so tough. I think alot of it had to do with it being 42 years old. She's an awesome driver now!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 09:45 AM

I used to put shims on the upper control arms of my Impalas, that would allow me to do caster adjustments without getting under the car.

Bob
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 07:55 PM

I also forgot to mention the crown of the road can cause pulling too. Up here in the back woods of the Northeast the roads curve from one side to another . If the alignment is set to the back roads then you drive on the interstate, pulling becomes an issue. I had that problem on my truck. When doing the alignment they have to find some compromise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page