Possible head gasket Prob?? - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Possible head gasket Prob??

Hey guys, I may have a possible head gasket prob, there is some of that damn white milky crap around the oil fill plug with a little bit of smoke coming from it when running, no oil in the coolant does not seem to be losing any, no white smoke at the exhaust a little condensation emitting form it but goes away had smelled it not sweet and tasted it ... water normal condensation I think.
What do u guys think?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 08:08 PM

Compression test first, then a leak down test. If the head gasket is gone it will show up.

Big Dave
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 08:36 PM

Sounds like it is not breathing properly...does it have a PCV valve?
Is there at least one breather cap on the valve cover..is it stopped up?
give us more info on what engine you have.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Arrow

According to the the casting number its a 63 283 but on the front plate it looks like it has a re builders stamp from 1983 the original owner has past away and the grandson said its a 327 and has been sitting for 23 years so maybe its a 283 bored out to a 327, it has a 1983 350 intake on it and a 4 barrel edelbrock 600. the only breather on the valve cover is the oil plug, forgive me for being incompetent but I don't know a whole crap load about engines now if we are talking electronics well that's another story since im a avionics technician for the the Canadian Forces Snowbirds. Where is the pcv located? is it that canister that has a length of hose to it? if so it is sitting in my trunk and not hooked up.
All help is very much so apreciated
Thanks
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 02:13 PM

A 283 overbored an 1/8th of an inch will probably have cracks in the cylinder walls from heat cycling. Even for older thicker walled castings from the early 60's that was considered a bit too much of an over bore.

Big Dave
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 09:20 PM

the pcv valve will be in one of the valve covers and have a hose going to the carburetor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCV_valve

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...?articleid=234
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Question

Could a malfunctioning pcv be the cause of the syptoms I listed above?
Thanks
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 06:08 PM

There is no water in a crankcase vent. Only water in crankcase comes from condensation (dew) and evaporates with heat. If you run motor for 15 minutes any and all condensation has left the motor as steam.

Big Dave
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 08:34 PM

Dave, it can't leave if it can't get out can it? It will be nice to see how this one turns out. Don't they sell something you pour into the radiator that turns colors if it is a blown gasket? No white smoke at exhaust, no water in oil, I'm betting the engine is not breathing.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Ok and what could be the cause of the engine not breathing properly? I checked the pcv valve and cleaned it out with some cleaner and it appeared to be functioning properly. I don't seem to be losing any coolant from my rad no oil in it either, but there is that white crap around my oil plug and there is a liitle bit of smoke coming from it when running. I'll pull the plugs and look for any green tinge to them and do a compression test, see what that brings.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 02:36 PM

Does the oil on the dipstick still look transparent brown or is it opaque and cloudy? Has the oil level risen at all? If you were getting coolant in your oil, the oil would get contaminated very quickly when running. Does the radiator hold pressure? If so does the pressure remain after you shut the car off?

How many miles are on this engine? You could be experiencing blow-by past the rings and causing the crankcase to get excessive pressure that is not vented completely through the PCV valve. Worn rings would also give you less vacuum and thereby diminshing the crankcase ventilation further. The added pressure would cause the engine to attempt to vent through the filler cap. Any condensation in the top of the engine would mix with the oil vapors at the cap and give you the milky color there.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Hey man, my oil level does not rise and is still the normal color,and yes the rad still holds pressure even with the engine off. What you are suggesting makes perfect sense to me, I plan on putting in new rings and gaskets this spring hopefully that is the prob.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page