pooring through fuel! - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

pooring through fuel!

I think I know the answer to this, but want to ask all of you as well.

My '66 Impala 4-door hardtop is getting awful gas mileage ~ much worse than this summer. This is my daily driver, so I keep track of stuff like that. The only thing I have been doing different is letting it 'fast idle' to warm up. It's been a tough Indiana winter, so I have to leave it running both morning and night. It has the 327 with an aftermarket high rise intake an a 650 Holley 4-barrel carb, electric choke.

I think that letting it idle is significantly increasing my fuel usage. Could it be as simple as that? Any thoughts?

Thank you so much for you help.

~ Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 03:25 PM
BA.

I would believe a 10% drop but I'm hoping your not experiencing something worse like a 30% - 50% drop!

Of course, it would really be magnified if you do the "stop and go" to work and not much highway to work. I mean, it wouldn't balance out, it'd be getting some choke in this super cold air all the time, right?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Not much stop and go, but enough. It has only been about a 10% to 15% drop, so I guess not that terrible. Just feels like I am making a lot more stops at my friendly neighborhood gas station.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 07:00 PM
BA.

I've had the same primary daily driver for 5 1/2 years and it has the typical digital mileage counter display. (fuel injected motor) I geta 10% drop in the winter, even on the highway. (computer compensates for the cool, dense air by giving more gas)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 11:13 PM

Hey Jim,

Allen is right on and my question for you is, On your after market manifold,is the exhaust gas crossover ports blanked off? That helps for performance by keeping the manifold "cooler" keeping the gas dense. But in a colder climate the gas won't fully atomize. Many years ago I has a SB with a manifold that the "runners" were separated from the "valley cover", in the winter it would flood usually before it would even think about starting. My solution....I wrapped a "heat tape" around the runners and plugged it in every night. In the Spring I would remove it, although, adhesive from the aluminum duct tape that covered the heat tape was a pain to get off .
Gary
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 01:38 PM

I would suggest a block heater would be the solution to your problem. Also on the plus side it prolongs engine life by eliminating cold starts with sludge for oil.

Big Dave
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 07:12 PM

Winter grade fuel can cause issues with older engines also. I believe it has more ethanol or is highly oxygenated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page