1965 Impala.No T S or brake lights on right rear. - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

1965 Impala.No T S or brake lights on right rear.

I checked the fuses, cleaned the fuse panel block front and back. Bulbs are new.
The backup lights work fine as does both front T S's. No power to the right 2 T S lights as mentioned.
No dash lights..New switch. Yes I turned the knob. Where is the ground wire located on the damn dash panel?? I have 2 factory manuals and it is not shown. Such fun seeing the car sitting in the garage..
Al 1965 SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 06:15 AM

Often the contacts behind the bulbs are corroded. Try cleaning them and put a test light on it to be sure you have power to them.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Hi
Did that. They are clean.
Thanks,
Al

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 09:38 AM

hi. have you checked the harness in the trunk where it plugs in? it runs from the fuse panel to the back seat and thru the back panel in the trunk should be a harness plug. at the inside trunk lid the harness wiring runs from dash to rear of car under rug in the long plastic strip, forget what it is called, anyway you can open it and your wiring will be in there, can check and see if any breaks in wires or burnt or shorting wires which would cause no dash lights. also a defective high beam switch will give you problems not having dash lights. then test your wiring in the trunk at the sockets not working and trace your way back to the front, checking the harness plug in the trunk and wires in the plastic covering. also check your taillight wires from the left to the right rear inside the trunk lid if im not mistaken you get power from the left side to work the right side taillights, brakelights and running as well as signals. hope I helped you a little bit.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 10:53 AM

I fought with my taillights for years. Always at least one not working. Bad grounds, Bad sockets. I finally got fedup and replaced them with LED's and cut out the sockets. Haven't had to touch them in 2 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65 Impala 004.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	9426   Click image for larger version

Name:	65 Impala 006.jpg
Views:	724
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	9434  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 11:13 AM

right on. am thinking of doing that to my 64. I hate wiring too. glad it turned out well.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 05:49 PM

The '65's are notorious for having lousy ground connections in the sockets to the socket housing in the trunk lid and quarter panel extension. They have to be fully seated in order for the light to have a good ground and function. A $10 circuit test light is your best friend when working with 50 year old cars and their wiring. Use it find out where the bad connection is causing the right side tail lights not to work. ( A hint here. If one tail light is working, your fuse is not burnt. Look elsewhere. )

Turn on the lights, use the test light to see if you power to the light sockets. The right side have a green wire and a brown wire. Can't remember which one is brake/turn signal and which one is tail lamp. But, the test light should light up. If not start working back towards the tape wire harness that goes under the seats and carpet. Most likely your bad connection is before that.

I finally gave up on the '65 era light sockets and got a bunch for a '73 Monte Carlo because that era use a ground wire instead trying to ground the socket itself. No problems since. Also, make sure you have the dual element # 1157 bulbs.

1965 Impala SS, 383, 4 spd
1970 Caprice LS-4 454, TH400
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 02:52 PM

You said a new switch, were you referring to the turn signal switch/ If not you might want to check the turn signal switch as well.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 09:39 PM

I had a 65 years ago that had taillight issues. The blinker would get stuck, move fast, or not at all. It also blew the fuse like no tomorrow. I ended up buying new sockets, and sanding the metal on the hood that houses them, problem solved.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 09:18 PM

Turn signal switch

I had the same symptoms on my 65. Actually if I read the wiring diagram right, the brake light wires run through the turn signal switch. I found my turn signal was bad just for the left rear brake and turn signal contacts. I ran a wire straight from the brake pedal switch to the wire going to the left rear brake light wire. Then, for the turn signal I ran a wire from the front signal wire to the rear signal wire. You have to use a diode the prevent the brake light switch from lighting the front turn signal. Diode cost a dollar. This is a temporary fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page