1964 belair wagon - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

1964 belair wagon

pass side rear wheel bearing leaks on to the brake shoes, what and where can i get the correct wheel bearing replacement. do the stock ones have the o ring seals on the outside surface, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 05:12 PM

In 1964 the bearings were pressed onto the axels and the seal went under the bearing. You will need a new seal as well as a set of new brake shoes. I would also consider new wheel bearings while you have it apart, and verify the axels are straight and not twisted.

Big Dave
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

1964 rear wheel bearings

thanks for the info, but where can the correct replacement bearing be bought. thanks

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 12:26 AM

Any reputable parts store can get them.Another note: a lot of the new replacement wheel bearing are made off shore in China,Korea,etc.Try to get an original bearing made in the USA.The new ones do not hold up,they are garbage. John

1964 Chevrolet Impala Convertible-409/425hp,4 speed,3:73 posi,original owner
1973 Corvette Stingray Coupe-350/275hp-L-82,4 speed,posi rear-original owner
2005 Cadillac CTS-V,Z06 Corvette Motor,6 speed ,posi rear end,original owner

http://community.webshots.com/user/paintjohn1

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image....1&type=profile
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 09:04 PM

Just a heads up here.......... I recently went to my local A/Z parts store for a rear bushing and seal for a Chevy 3 speed. Box was plopped down and it was a Timken so I'm thinking "Good old USA". Boy could I have been more wrong, there it was stamped on the back Made in China. Is nothing sacred?

Dave Bradley
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 02:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to medisalle
Interesting post, as always... QuestioN: I replaced my front bearings as a matter of course, since my '63 was sitting for years and I figured new bearings would benefit how she 'rolls' .. I never thought about the rears! Should I just replace both of them ?

'63 Impala Sedan
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 06:53 PM

Like I said rear bearings are a press fit which bolts to the housing ends so you do not loose a wheel when you break an axle (a very common occurrence with the old 8.2 inch diameter ring gear ten bolt differential). Because it requires a fifty ton press most car owners do not have one (or the tooling needed to change the bearing and install a new seal). A machine shop will charge you for your lack of fore sight in not buying the press to keep in your living room, for such an application, but at least the wife will be happy (if she questions the need for that added expense you could mention your desire to have a hydraulic press of your own for such tasks stored in the living room).

I feel new bearings are a good investment if they show signs of wear. I would pull the axels and check them visually for signs of wear (galling, or bluing, or excessive movement in the cage. You should also notice a matching groove in the bearing race if the bearings are bad. You will need a new paper gasket to reinstall the axels if the bearings are still good, and 2-1/2 quarts of SAE 90 weight hypoid grease.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page