Brake light on constantly(?) - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Brake light on constantly(?)

Hi! Recently the light from the parking brake stays on. If I turn on the engine and I release the parking brake, the light dims out a bit, but stays on.

I checked the user's manual (thank you, ebay) but it only says about the oil light on and the "Gen" light on (the only time I got that one on, was when some moron revved the car until the car overheated, sad day when that happened, hahahaha).

Does anyone know if this could be "warning me" about something?

Thanks everyone!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 08:59 PM

Didn't mention the year but if you have a dual master cylinder there is a plunger in the middle of the manifold with a wire attached to it. If the plunger moves foreward or back due to a difference in brake line pressure at the master cylinder the brake light will light.

The other circuit that lights the dash brake warning light is attached to your parking brake mechanism. Perhaps it is hanging down too low and needs to be adjusted (threaded back a bit) up a bit to clear the E-brake pedal until it is actually pressed.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

oh, sorry, it's a 1967 biscayne, but I believe the brake system is from a Nova. I will post pictures tomorrow.
The braking system needs to be almost completely rebuilt, and there's been some brake fluid leaking (practically anywhere), would that trigger the warning in the brake light?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 01:37 AM

In a word yes. The differential in p[ressure that allows the sopindle to move from one side to the other in the brake manifold is caused by a leak somewhere in the system.

This is the part that has the cylinder that slides back and forth inside and is found under the master cylinder attached with brake lines. The central plastic is the power feed that goes to ground if the piston inside moves.

http://www.getdiscbrakes.com/media/w...sion-valve.jpg

Here is what is inside and you can follow the instructions written by Ford to it'ds techs to recenter it again since hydraukics all work the same on a Ford, Chevy, or John Deere.

http://www.fordification.com/images/...lock-valve.jpg

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page