Horn won't stop honking? - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Horn won't stop honking?

So I've actually had some issues with the horn before. There would be significant lag from it, meaning I'd try to honk the horn but it won't work and will instead go off like 10 seconds later. There were times when I'd just be driving down the street (more like speeding) and it would just honk on it's own.

This time it really scared the living daylights out of me and everybody else walking on the sidewalk. I was just driving and the horn went off on it's own and wouldn't stop this time, even after trying to press or mess with the steering wheel horn just in case it was stuck. So I quickly pulled over, ripped the negative battery terminal off, located the horns and disconnected the pairs and went on my way again. Luckily it was later in the evening at like 8-9 with no cars.

Unless it's a spooky ghost and my car is haunted, it's probably a wiring problem, right? Maybe a blown fuse? If it was the fuse then the horn probably wouldn't work at all though, right? Any ideas on where to start?

1967 Chevrolet Impala 4 door "post" sedan
327 5.4L V8 - 3-speed TH350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 06:51 PM

It's probably grounding somewhere. One of the wires for my horn ring (in the steering column) was grounding mine.

Ed
66 Impala SS
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 11:59 PM

You might want to check if it's drawing power. Chances are that even though you unhooked the horns, the relay may be stuck on which I am thinking may run the battery down.

And then of course, you'll need to remove the steering wheel and find the cause. It's likely grounding in there as edjunior mentioned.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

I think it's probably grounded. If it's drawing power I'm not sure how long it'll take for the battery to drain but it was sitting since Saturday night and I drove today with no drained battery.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 12:59 AM

I forgot to mention, if you unhook the battery cable and the relay is "on" you will hear it click in and out as you connect and unhook the battery.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 09:59 PM

Probably a New York City car ;D

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285

Last edited by dcairns; 08-15-2019 at 04:51 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

@Darth I'll have to check that. Whenever I reattach the negative battery terminal I've been hearing a slight buzz come from the terminal. Or that could be something else.

@dcairns Good one! haha

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 12:34 AM

It sure sounds like it's grounded in the column if that is happening, yes.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

I know this is old but I might as well post an update of what happened or what I think happened. I think the horn relay was to blame.

Well I bought a new Grant steering wheel for looks and took everything apart on the column to get it on. The button and the wire looked fine in the column. So I put the new steering on with the new Grant horn mechanism and the horn works perfectly fine.

With the battery still plugged in I went under the hood to take a look at everything. I touched the horn relay and the horn went off and made me jump. Turns out there's this metal cover that was loose/unattached that sits on top of the relay that honks when moved (and possibly grounded/touched to the body). This cover must of been freely moving around when I was driving which would explain the horn going off.

So I took the relay off and secured the metal cover back on it and reattached everything. Hopefully everything will work now.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 10:12 AM

That would explain it. I think the new off shore replacement parts have a plastic cover. If that screw works loose again try some Red Loc-Tite.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page