65 impala ss. Insane manifold vacum gauge - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Smile 65 impala ss. Insane manifold vacum gauge

I have imported a 65 impala ss 2dht frome Massachusetts to Norway in 06. there was a 327 With powerglide trans in it. But now i have a 383 With a th 700r4 transmission in it. The vacum gauge is still Working, but the needle is jus jumping all over the Place between 0-15. And it started to make a ticking noise everytime i put the gas pedal Down out on the road.
Hope you understand my writing:-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 01:50 PM

Gauge

First of all please check for the most obvious issues, dirt or a clog in the vacuum hose. Disconnect the entire hose and blow through with an air compressor and make sure the hose it clear.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 02:45 PM

Assuming this is a new problem that just popped up I would check for a vacuum leak (broken or cracked rubber line from manifold to transmission, manifold to brake booster, leaking brake booster due to bad diaphragm, or manifold to distributor).

A large cam on a new motor will yield the same results which is why your carb will load up. From the carbs point of view you have your foot planted on the gas and will dump fuel accordingly.

Big Dave

Last edited by Big Dave; 08-11-2015 at 09:59 AM. Reason: spleling

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 09:06 AM

Sounds like a serious vacuum leak that could be occurring from a large variety of places. Start by checking the carb to manifold gasket. With the car running spray some WD40 around the gasket to see if the RPM increases Check the intake manifold the same way, especially the front and rear of the manifold. Check the torque of the 4 carb mounting nuts. Then, disconnect (at the manifold not the other end of the hose) one hose at a time, connect a vacuum gauge and see if the vacuum stabilizes. Use a different vacuum gauge for the test not the in car gauge. If this doesn't work you might have some sticky valve issues.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the tips

Thank you. Now i have a few Things to Lock into.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 06:23 PM

To reduce the rapid changes in gauge motion, install an orifice in the vacuum line.

Tom

1965 Impala SS Tahitian Turquoise 427 4 Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page