Thumping noise when changing gears? - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Thumping noise when changing gears?

When I change gears to D or R, I hear a thumping noise every 2 seconds. It's perfectly fine though when it's idling in park and even when I rev it. The noise only happens when I go to a different gear.

I had my Dad sit inside and have him change to R and D. First thing I noticed was the engine block rumbling rough (shaking every 2 seconds). I also bent down to get a look at the underbelly and I saw the drive train moving slightly back and forth clockwise and counter clockwise, corresponding with the thumping noise. My Dad also said while even in park something felt off (not enough power) - which is probably a totally unrelated problem.

Any ideas on what's going on? I'm probably going to get it towed to my mechanic anyway. It's still good to have an idea of what's going on first.

It's worth noting that it has been sitting for a while (like 2 months) and I didn't hear this noise before that. I also recently finished putting in new mufflers and this is basically one of the first start ups. The very start up after the two months and muffler install 2-3 weeks ago, it was fine in all gears.

1967 Chevrolet Impala 4 door "post" sedan
327 5.4L V8 - 3-speed TH350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 09:16 PM

Could be mufflers or exhaust pipes hitting under body due to engine movement. You may have a broken motor mount as that is very common malady with these old cars.

Big Dave
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Could be mufflers or exhaust pipes hitting under body due to engine movement. You may have a broken motor mount as that is very common malady with these old cars.

Big Dave
I guess I'll check the pipes again. When putting the mufflers in I made sure there was nothing touching the body though.

Motor mount sounds logical. If not maybe a transmission mount?

Edit: Well Dave, I think you might be right about the exhaust. When harnessing in the new hangers (adjustable clamp hangers, thankfully), I may have ignored the H pipe section. I'll have to check it tomorrow but I may have accidentally harnessed everything in higher then it should be. Therefore, causing the H pipe to touch the drive train and cause them to grind against each other.

Last edited by Classiccarman; 10-22-2015 at 02:24 AM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 07:35 AM

The rocking motion of the engine indicates a miss-fire and your Dad's observation of something "off".

The exhaust may still be too close to the floor or driveshaft, but I would be looking at the engine not running right also.

If you are burning regular, oxygenated gas, it may have separated after sitting for 2-3 weeks and has gummed up the carb. If the carb hasn't been rebuilt in the last 8-10 years, the alcohol in the gas deteriorates all the rubber parts and ruins them.

Only use non-oxy gas in a carburated engine.

'62 Impala SS 409 TH350
'66 Chevelle SS 496 M20
'70 Chevelle SS 396 M20
'67 Camaro ss/rs 350 PG
'38 Chev coupe street rod
'54 Chev 210 2 door
'69 Chev C10
'89 Chev R3500 roll back
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

I went to check the firing order and it turns out two of the spark plug wires weren't on the right plugs. After figuring that out, I turned it back on and ran through all the gears with no problem. Test drive went great as well.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classiccarman View Post
I went to check the firing order and it turns out two of the spark plug wires weren't on the right plugs. After figuring that out, I turned it back on and ran through all the gears with no problem. Test drive went great as well.
That will do it...were #5 and 7 crossed...

'62 Impala SS 409 TH350
'66 Chevelle SS 496 M20
'70 Chevelle SS 396 M20
'67 Camaro ss/rs 350 PG
'38 Chev coupe street rod
'54 Chev 210 2 door
'69 Chev C10
'89 Chev R3500 roll back
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Close guess. 5 and 2 were actually crossed. I have no idea how I managed that seeing how they're on opposite sides of the block. Must of happened when I was checking spark plugs. Human error!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page