"Jet smooth Chevrolet ride" - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

"Jet smooth Chevrolet ride"

I saw in another post where a few guys were commenting on the handling of our beloved old Impalas. After owning several cars over the years, I accquired a 70 LS5 convertible in 1995. The "jet smooth ride" (and lack of handling) just amazed me. One thing in particular that annoyed me was the old slow steering box. Trying to PARK this monster in a parking lot, I'd almost always miss the hole. I came across a 78 WS6 Trans Am in a junk yard and swapped out the steering box in my Impala. Viola! It seems I had gotten used to the quicker steering in the newer cars and now I was able to speed up the ratio in my Impala (making it easier to park). The T/A box was a perfect bolt in deal. You need to switch the steering arm (obviously) and 78 is the last year that GM used standard thread steering hose fittings. Looking at it, you can't see a difference from the original box. From what I understand now, several "restoration parts houses" are selling fast ratio boxes. This is a good idea if you plan on driving your car on a regular basis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 04:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to medisalle
Wow! WAY-old post, but I'm happy to have found this one! True, the old barges don't handle nearly as well as the newer sleds do - I can tell you my '89 Caprice can whip around like a race car, compared to my '63 Impala - but it's a price worth paying for the 'coolness factor'. Besides, I don't parallel park her much.

I'd be interested to try this swap... Hmm.. I'll have to check out the T/A's in the junkyard, next time I'm there.

Oh: and I know this doesn't need said: but the "Jet-Smooth" term refers to the "X"-frame chevies of the early 60's I beleive. But no matter: I haven't met an Impala yet that I (a) Haven't owned already or (b) loved just for what it was! ~ M.

'63 Impala Sedan
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 08:25 PM

The Saginaw steering box is interchangeable from 1958 to 1989 (but as mentioned 1979 and up used O-rings instead of SAE compressioon flair fittings. Most autoparts houses sell adapters to convert over to O-ring hoses or you can buy a power steering hose with a SAE Flair on one end and an O-ring on the other.)

Big Dave

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 12:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to medisalle
John: Another question: What steering arm do you use? I want to make this swap soon - but I'm not sure if you meant that you have to order a '78 T/A steering arm or if something else is needed. M.

'63 Impala Sedan
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 08:29 PM

Take the pitman arm off your old steering box and install it on the new steering box. Do not try to use the newer pitman arm, it wont work right.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page