Help 69 Impala stalling - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Help 69 Impala stalling

Hi I am in desperate need of help. I have a 69 custom coupe with a 327. It was my grandmas car and all stock. It has ran great for the last 8 years that I have been driving it. The last 2 times I took it out for a short run I had to be towed home. Both times I was driving along and when I took my foot off the gas to start slowing down for a light it shuts down and will not start back up. The next day it starts up like its new again. I was told that the distributor can over heat and cause this, then once it cools it will work again. Does this make sense? It was 80/85 degrees both days. Now my kids want to go for a ride but I am scared it will die on me again. Any and all suggestions or ideas are greatly welcome. Thanks everyone.
Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 09:16 PM

Welcome to the Team Marc!

Ignore everything the person who says it is the distributor overheating ever says again. Unless of course you have a stock 1975-'82 Chevy HEI distributor replacing the points model that was installed new in your car. That and the HEI distributor has had the module replaced at least once without the benefit of thermal grease being put under the HEI module to conduct heat out of the module into the cooler aluminum housing. An overheated HEI module causes misfires and a very low maximum RPM but generally doesn't suddenly decide to stop working.

More likely you have a fuel supply issue. It could be vapor lock (heat related where gas boils in the gas line preventing being drawn into the engine), or a clogged filter (flows for a while as trash builds up on the outside of the filter then falls off when the filter dries out later0, or a leaky fuel bowl in the carb, or a combination of these and other issues.

You have one free AAA road tow left for the fiscal year. I suggest you save it and drive your car to your Chevy dealership to have a trained mechanic look at it. Hopefully they haven't retired off all of the mechanics working there who know about point dwell and how to trouble shoot a carburetored car.

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave. I did notice that both times my fuel level was less than 1/4 tank. So you are probably on to something about the filter getting clogged. You are probably right about taking it to a dealer, I just have a hard time paying if it is something I can fix myself. Was hoping it would be something quick and easy. Thanks again for the quick reply.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 11:06 AM

Put some berrymans b12 in it and top off the tank and report back.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Ok I will try using the cleaner and top the gas off soon. I've been working a lot and haven't had a chance yet. I'm also going to change the fuel filter. Hopefully this week I will get a chance and I will report back soon. Thanks for the help.

I can run and work on 123 megawatt GE gas and steam turbines but I am just learning to work on old engines. I am probably going to be asking a lot more questions over the next few months until it gets stored for winter. I really value all the advice from this forum thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page