Center drag link???? - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Center drag link????

Ok so back in 1995 I purchased a DS780 center drag link for my Impala lifetime warranty! Autoz parts store no longer carries it I tried other parts stores no one has it! So I found one on e-bay got it Thurs. tried to put it on and it rubs the cross member frame! I tried to move my steering box and idler arm no go not enough movement. So I took it off to match it up next to the other one it is so close but it is bent about 1/4 inch to far towards the cross member! And yes I matched it before I tried it and it looked right. I called the company I got it from they said that is the way there cast is the only thing I can do is send it back or try to bend it so it don't rub there is no warranty with this part if I fully put it on any ways. The way I can bend this is to heat it up and bend it but most shops I stopped and ask said it could make it brittle and brake later if I hit something to hard. The other way is to put it in a press and have it flatten where the bow is rubbing the cross member. As the DS780 is for 1971-1972 GM full size cars only. I have thought about changing it to a 1973 center link but every thing would have to be changed idler and steering box arm and then will it work? also would be more money something I don't have right now. So if I send it back I lose $9.99 plus how ever much it cost me to send it back and I will still have a bad center link. I get my money back from Autoz when I return the defect to them. I also can't afford a $159.00 one I seen on line but they was out of stock on it anyways too and no telling if it was the same as the one I just got or if they will get any soon.

Make: Chevrolet
Model: Impala
Year: 1971
Doors: 4
Motor: 400 V8
Tranny: TH350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page