Starting problems 2000 impala - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Starting problems 2000 impala

Hey everyone. I have a 2000 Chevy impala LS with a 3.8 engine. about 2 weeks ago my car would not start. i turned the key and all the electrical came on like normal but the engine would not turn over and the starter didnt sound like it was trying to turnover. so i replaced the starter last week and it worked fine for a week until yesterday it started doing the same thing

Any suggestion of tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 07:07 PM

First check the connections on the starter to make sure nothing has come loose.

The ground path for the starter is through the engine block and starter case. If the negative cable attachment or the area the starter mounts is dirty or has paint on it you will not get a good ground. It will cause slow cranking, no cranking and a lot of frustration.

72 Concours Wagon L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, LS 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

i will check into that thanks for the help

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 10:32 AM

Starter on this car is operated by CRANK relay in underhood fuse block. you need to monitor the ppl wire to the starter and verify power in the crank position. If you have no power, you possibly have a bad crank relay, poor connection at underhood fuse block, or even a faulty PCM. The PCM is what grounds the control side of the relay to put power through the relay to the starter. Also, if the PCM is not receiving the signal from the ignition switch indicating crank request, the PCM will not activate the starter relay. This is assuming you've checked all the basics and you know for sure you don't have any theft deterrent issues. If you know someone with a good scanner, you can monitor all the inputs and commands for this circuit.

ASE & GM certified master technician, and no, I don't think I know it all.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 05:27 PM

As a former computer tech who had to occasionally wear a grounding strap durring the winter weeks in Florida (when a cold front brought in cool dry air to the state and long before these artic blasts that have killed alll vegitation in the state). Has anyone thought that the computer chip in our new ignition keys being fried by static electricity from a spark when we stick the key in the car door (not everyone uses the auto locks). I wonder if a dead key would cause the issues he is having.

I know nothing about OBD computer controlled cars as I only know how to operate a screw driver.

Big Dave
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice...my key doesnt have a chip in it but i will monitor the electronics and see what happens..

thanks again
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Is there a possibility that my stock security system could be preventing it from starting?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 11:58 PM

hey guys I am having the same problem with my 00 impala, it has 172k on it, and the 3.4L, having the same issues as the guy above with the car not starting, whenever it feels like it, but I have also actually had the car start a few times, and the guages do not work at all, then when I shut off the car, it will not start again for a while. I have replaced the alt, batt, ignition switch, not the ignition cylinder though, starter and I have even done the "bypass" procedure for the passlock system. The problem is extremely weird, I have had it hooked up to scanners, but none of them show anything, I have been told that the scanner would have to be hooked up to it when the problem is actually happening (which is impossible, how am I supposed to get a scanner to hook up to it when its not running without buying one of my own????) anyways this is a huge problem with GM and I would really just like to find a cheap, or free fix that would end this B.S. Please anyone that has any ideas let me know, I have tried everything it seems like. and the dealer wants to charge me $600 for a POSSIBLE solution, might work, might not.

tmbrockett, from what I have read up and been researching for myself it seems to be something most likely with the passlock sensor. Their is really no solution to these problems without bringing it into GM, which realy sucks. anyone out there that knows help us!!!!!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

ya i took it in and they told me the exact same thing...they replaced the BCM which cost me $500 and that didnt fix the problem...They basically fixed somthing that didnt need to be fixed...i love my car but G.M needs to get their crap together and find a solution to this problem...apparently this is a nationwide problem from what ive been reading. i had the entire dealership look at my car and none of them could find anything wrong.. go figure
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

check out this link http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t454520.html it has alot of usefull information that will help you out.. from what ive been reading you have to disable that passlock sensor..it seems to be the best cheapest fix to this problem
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 12:21 PM

hey I found out how to fix it, replace your ignition cylinder, the inside where the key slides into the ignition, not the back plastic ignition switch, GM wants 225 for the part, but I found the exact same thing on ebay brand new for $89 and you actually put the tumblers in yourself so you can keep the same key. I called around to a bunch of GM dealers and their was one guy that told me how to fix it and give me a price quote. 225 for the part and 115 per hour to put it in, but I will put it in myself. I am not quite sure if it needs to be coded in afterwards, but I don't care i am certain it will fix my problems. I will let you guys know in a few days when I get it all back together if it worked. Here's the link for the ebay auction. its a great company, they have phone support and it comes with instructions, so if you have any questions they can walk you through it over the phone. It comes with everything shown in the picture and instructions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-01...Q5fAccessories
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 12:32 PM

in my opinion its better to fix the problem for under 90 bucks, than to try and jimmy rig it around the problem. I did the bypass passlock system procedures, but that still never worked for me, it worked for like a month then went back into it and if you bypass the passlock your security light will always be on, not a good thing if your trying to sell your car, or dont want to get it stolen, then people know your security system is screwed up.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

ya let me know if that works so i can do it to
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 01:41 PM

damn, worked for a few days, now its doing it again, so that must not have been the problem, im not sure, maybe I have to have it "relearn the key", since its a new passlock and ignition cylinder. tmbrockett do you have a stock radio or aftermakret? I am trying to figure out what links all these problems together.... what else do you have thats not original equipment?? if anything
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

about the only thing i have is an aftermarket stereo....all of my other electronics are wired directly to the battery.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 03:40 PM

ok because I also have an aftermarket stereo and I am trying to figure out what is actually causing these problems because it never did this when I had the stock stereo installed.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

ive had mine for about two years and this started happening a couple of months ago
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 08:22 PM

oh ok, because mine started happening like just a few weeks after I put in my aftermarket deck and subs
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

GM replaced the BCM about a month ago and at first the whole starting issue happened about a week after it got replaced, and ever since then the car has been starting everytime....i unplugged my subs and amp from the battery to see if it made a difference and it didnt
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 10:44 AM

Yeah I unplugged my subs too but it still didnt start a few times so I know its not the subs, but the deck is what im thinking it could be, because the passlock system actaully runs through your stock head unit. But I am not sure.... I ordered a BCM, but I don't think its really even worth trying and paying the dealer 100 bucks to get them to code it in.... no one says that replacing the BCM has worked permanently for them.....
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

when you get your bcm installed let me know how it works
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

ok its been several months since ive had my BCM replaced and i havent had any problems since...i think that is the fix for all this crap...at least it is for me
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 05:26 AM

im haveing same problems and im being told its the cylindoid on the starter haveing a flat spot in it..ive replaced the ignition switch it worked fine for bout 2 weeks and has been a problem ever since..if u have any more suggestions or soultions please email me at [email protected]
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 10:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to medisalle
Dear GOD! Thanks for this post, I can tell you with all assurance, i'll never be trading my '63 up for one of THESE horrors!

I've lived the "GM Experience" already with a 1994 Cadillac that never wanted to start ... I almost landed in jail after throttling my salesman within an inch of his life!

Hope you guys find a solution.

'63 Impala Sedan
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 05:45 PM

This works until the next time

In the year I bought my Impala 2000 I came across this very issue, turn key... nothing, so I figured like all problems with computers, reboot them. So I unplugeg positive termial from battery and reattached it and my car started, plain, simple and no cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page