problem with starting - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

problem with starting

ok, as it says in my screename, i dont have a impala, i joined here looking for help for my dads friends impala, (he doesn't speak english so im trying to help him) ok, now to the problem, i dont know what year his impala is, but my guess is around 02ish, because its that kind of body style, well from what he has told me, he said when he goes to turn it on, sometimes it works normally, but sometimes, nothing happens when he turns the key, the gauge lights come on, but nothing else, after that he has to take out the key, wait for like 7-10 minutes then turn it on again and it would work normally. i think he said it has like 180k miles, so any help?? and his check engine lights been on for a while, and everything is normal, any way to check what the codes are with out having to use a code scanner tool??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 11:01 PM

Okay, here's my two cents worth. More than likely, it is a theft deterrent related concern. This vehicle uses a factory anti-theft system known as Pass-key and the device for reading the key is in the ignition lock cylinder and the lock cylinder housing. If you can get access to a scanner that will read PCM codes as well as body control module codes, that would be a huge help. Codes do NOT tell you a faulty part, but they do indicate what area of the system is having a problem. This system uses the key, lock cylinder, lock cylinder housing, BCM and PCM to work so you definitely don't want to just throw parts at it.....besides, all of the theft components have to be programmed to the vehicle to function properly anyway. The good new is, it could be something as simple as a poor connection at one of the components. If you know of a good GM dealer in your area, this would probably be best handled there. Hope that helps a little.

ASE & GM certified master technician, and no, I don't think I know it all.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 07:02 AM

Good answer Steve, With 180,000 miles on it, the key or cylinder is wore out. Never did like the pass key-system.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 11:55 PM

hey guys I am having the same problem with my 00 impala, it has 172k on it, and the 3.4L, having the same issues as the guy above with the car not starting, whenever it feels like it, but I have also actually had the car start a few times, and the guages do not work at all, then when I shut off the car, it will not start again for a while. I have replaced the alt, batt, ignition switch, not the ignition cylinder though, starter and I have even done the "bypass" procedure for the passlock system. The problem is extremely weird, I have had it hooked up to scanners, but none of them show anything, I have been told that the scanner would have to be hooked up to it when the problem is actually happening (which is impossible, how am I supposed to get a scanner to hook up to it when its not running without buying one of my own????) anyways this is a huge problem with GM and I would really just like to find a cheap, or free fix that would end this B.S. Please anyone that has any ideas let me know, I have tried everything it seems like. and the dealer wants to charge me $600 for a POSSIBLE solution, might work, might not.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 12:29 PM

hey I found out how to fix it, replace your ignition cylinder, the inside where the key slides into the ignition, not the back plastic ignition switch, GM wants 225 for the part, but I found the exact same thing on ebay brand new for $89 and you actually put the tumblers in yourself so you can keep the same key. I called around to a bunch of GM dealers and their was one guy that told me how to fix it and give me a price quote. 225 for the part and 115 per hour to put it in, but I will put it in myself. I am not quite sure if it needs to be coded in afterwards, but I don't care i am certain it will fix my problems. I will let you guys know in a few days when I get it all back together if it worked. Here's the link for the ebay auction. its a great company, they have phone support and it comes with instructions, so if you have any questions they can walk you through it over the phone. It comes with everything shown in the picture and instructions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-01...Q5fAccessories
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 01:41 PM

that fix worked for a few days now its doing it again. the dealers dont know how to fix it without just throwing money at it and hoping something works..... so im not sure what to do......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page