She (doesn't) like it hot ... - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to medisalle
Cool She (doesn't) like it hot ...

Howdy, guys.

New problem I thought I'd throw out here and get your opinions..

Last weekend, I took the '63 out for another long drive, figuring I'd blow out some more of her cobwebs, and what-not. So I treated her to a tank full of Premium (which seems overboard for her puny 230 6cyl.) and put some Lucas fuel system cleaner in with it, and off we went.

I noticed that when this car's cold - it purrs like a kitten... and the hotter it gets, the crappier she runs and idles even worse. I never noticed it before, but it was apparent this past weekend, as I kept driving - stopping for a long while (and she'd cool down) - then driving another 40 miles... etc.

My buddy says the lifters aren't adjusted correctly.. I'm thinking it's the points, or the carburetor - but I'm stumped.

Any thoughts?

'63 Impala Sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 02:41 PM

Check the choke on the carb, sounds like its not opening up all the way when its warmed up.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Hmm.. that would explain the gasoline smell ...

'63 Impala Sedan

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 01:38 PM

Its seems like it may be your choke.. When the car is warm and not running well. take off you air cleaner and see how far the flaps on the top of your carb are opened. If they seem pretty closed.. Pry them open a bit with a screw driver or your thumb. If it starts to run better then thats your problem..

As well if you are smelling gas then there may be a problem with your float, gaskets or jets on your carb... You may be running too rich..
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

I guess if that's the case, I can't complain .. I haven't touched this carb since I bought the car - and it was sitting for 3+ years beforehand. I'm lucky it runs at all, eh?

Thanks as always for the advice, guys! ~ M.

'63 Impala Sedan
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Okay.. update: It's NOT the choke. I've re-built the carb, re-set the timing, changed the points, and checked all the vacuum lines (of which I think there's 1 or 2..)- this thing STILL runs like total crap when it's hot.

Purrs like a kitten when she's cold .. so-so after about 5 miles - when it's HOT - there's a definate 'miss' and at a stop-light, she sounds as if she'll barely stay running.

Should I change the coil next? It's lookin' kind of old and worn - or could it be a bad exh. manifold gasket? That sounds like it's bad, too.. especially under 'load' - and I can't think of anything else that it might be - other than my dire need of a SBC 350 transplant! HELP! Ugh!

'63 Impala Sedan

Last edited by medisalle; 09-22-2010 at 03:43 PM. Reason: words
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 03:46 PM

Got the cooling system setup well?

Fan shroud, good fan, clean radiator (inside and out)?

Do you have a temperature gauge to see how hot things are getting ?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Hmm.. I think so. She doesn't seem to over-heat. There is no shroud on the 6 cylinders for '63, and all the other stuff was gone over when I woke her up from the dead (belts/hoses/thermostat/htr core/clamps) - I'll have to set a guage on it, and see how hot she gets.

'63 Impala Sedan
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 10:54 PM
BA.

That coil idea is a good one man, the symptoms could easily fit on a failing coil, or a coil without it's internal oil to keep it cool.

Your gas lines are not near anything hot are they? Did we ask that? I'm to lazy to scroll up. check all the way back!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

I'll check them out, too Allan .. didn't think of that one. I'm betting on a bad coil, or the leaking exhaust gasket causing the miss .. To Be Continued!

'63 Impala Sedan
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 07:35 AM

I would be surprised if a failing exhaust manifold gasket could produce a gas smell.

If you are 100% positive your distributor and cap are fine, it really does sound like it could be the coil that is not functionning well when hot and misses some sparks.

One part at a time.

'65 Super Sport 327.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 07:17 PM

Coil has to mounted up right to work as the PCB oil bath won't cool the windings when left on it's side.

Problem could also be in valve adjustment. But we are talking about an in-line six (this is a fairly common problem if the valves were set cold without the motor running it would be way too tight when hot with a SBC). But the old blue 235 "Stove Bolt" in-line six had sghaft mounted rokers atht were adjusted by torquing down the rocker shaft stands not individually with stud mounted rockers on the painted "Chevy" orange engines that replaced tem with 230 or 250 cid engines. (at least I remember someone talking about a 235 I think)

Big Dave
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

.. well, replaced the battered and beaten ( and probobly original ) coil on Saturday, and cleaned up all the connections. (and mounted it up-right, Dave.. thank you). It runs a LOT better - noticably better starting, but didn't run it to completely hot yet - as the radiator decided to take a dump as it was sitting there. Spewing green muck through the grille. Lovely.

Did I mention I'm starting to hate this pos already?

I'll check on the valve adjustment after the radiator comes back from the shop, and I have a chance to really let 'er warm up for a bit.

'63 Impala Sedan
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Okay. Follow-up: runs lots better with the new coil - didn't solve the problem. Going to re-check the valve thingies next. They must be too tight.

'63 Impala Sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page