Brale lights not working? - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Brale lights not working?

only 3rd brake light works on a 94 caprice..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 11:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to medisalle
Check first the obvious places, Devaughn ... start with the fuse; next, check the connections (there should be a connector in the trunk, that eventually leads to the wires at the tail lights ... if not there, it may be the brakelight switch, under the dash near the brake pedal assembly. Check the easy stuff, first. Then let us know what you find.

'63 Impala Sedan
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 07:15 AM

If the third brake light works, odds are the turn signal switch is the culprit. The sginal from the brake lamp switch to the lower brake lights goes up the column from the brake light switch, through the turn signal switch and back out on two seperate wires (one for L and one for R). This is what makes the two element bulbs in the rear function properly. Easiest place to check it is at the flat connector at the base of the column. If I remember correctly, there is a white wire coming from the brake light switch that should be hot when the pedal is pressed and the outbound wires to the rear are yellow and green. If you have power going in the t/s switch and nothing coming out the two outbound wires, you need a turn signal switch.

ASE & GM certified master technician, and no, I don't think I know it all.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 07:22 AM

Most likely cause is the turn signal switch. Power from the brake lamp switch comes up the column (white wire, I think) and then splits and goes back down the column on yellow and green wires for L and R. This is how the two element bulbs for the stop/tail/turn bulbs in the back work. Easiest place to check it is at the flat connector at the base of the column under the lower i.p. knee bolster.
use a regular test light and when the pedal is pressed, the white wire should be hot as well as the yellow and green. If only the white is hot, then you need a turn signal switch. Grab a wiring diagram to be sure on the wire colors as I am writing this from memory. If it is the t/s switch, be sure you're knowledgable enough about the air bags to be able to work with the system, as the steering wheel bag has to come off in the process of changing the t/s switch.

ASE & GM certified master technician, and no, I don't think I know it all.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 09:05 AM
BA.

Hadn't had your morning coffee yet Steve?

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page