Throttle Pedal sticky! - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

2Likes
  • 2 Post By chevvyeddie

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Throttle Pedal sticky!

My 66 Impala SS with 396 running Holley Sniper EFI throttle sticks from a stop. I had he same problem with the Edelbrock carb before I removed it. I have to press extra hard on the accelerator and the tires break loose at almost every stop. I have taken it all apart and cleaned and lubed the triangular hinge point bolted to the firewall and replaced the linkage from the rod at the firewall with tie rods and the rod to the throttle body with several different bends and lengths but nothing works. The pedal has a plastic lined area on the back which is in good shape and I have lubricated it with silicone lube with no success. I'm thinking maybe a LOKAR throttle assembly, however I prefer to keep it as stock as possible.
Any thoughts would be appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181023_135840.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	21858  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 09:15 PM

What is in front of the throttle arm looks good. See a lot of wires and vacuum hoses between throttle arm and fire wall but can not see if it is causing issues. Also check under the dash for a floor mat jamming the throttle pedal or a throttle pedal popping off the two pegs it rotates on. that will also gum up the works.

On second examination of the picture I have to ask are you connected to the throttle arm or the TH350 down shift arm? I can almost make out a Ford sized hole in the metal arm behind where you are connected now. If so you need a Holley bushing and stud kit to hook up your heim joint throttle linkage.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...age/parts/6026

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...ge/parts/20-64

Big Dave
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 02:05 PM
BA.

From your description, it sounds like things are bound up right from the get-go. Agree with Dave above that it kind of looks like a plug wire or 2 is in the path of that top part of the mechanical linkage at the firewall.
I do like the linkage you have from the firewall to the FI. Seems doubtful that is the issue since it's newer.

Can you feel the resistance by working things with your hand? Seem slike you should. I'd disconnect a bit at a time and keep feeling for it.
So hard to be of much help here without being right there with ya.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave & BA,
There are no obstructions with the wires/vacuum lines or the carpet/or insulation on the interior. With the engine off there is slight resistance from off idle only, and with foot or hand pressure there is no problem in any of the other travel. Today I removed the assembly and reinstalled it in a slightly different configuration. I felt the action from under the car and could feel no issues. I could not drive it today as it is wet out, however I will try it ASAP.
The linkage is connected at the correct point on the TB as I went back through the installation instructions and found it to be correct.
I tried to attach that diagram, but my skills with a PC are evidently limited and I couldn't get the correct file extension to allow it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TB Diagram.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	21864   Click image for larger version

Name:	TB Diagram.gif
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	21866  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Well Dave / BA,
I drove the car today and NOOO Change. I have ordered a Throttle pedal assembly and cable. I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks Again
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 07:12 AM

I remember my grandfather telling me that return springs need to have a little stretch even at full return as otherwise it takes a little more force to get them moving. Once they are moving they move smoothly. Also you might have a slightly heavier spring for the throttle than you really need.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 10:54 AM

The answer is geometry. Your photo seems to show a six cylinder throttle rod at the firewall. Was your car originally a six? The V-8 rod rises straighter for a different "angle of attack" to pull the throttle easier. Where near Chicago do you live? I think I have a V-8 pedal linkage in my pile of "66 Stuff". I am in West Chicago. Ed
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 11:46 AM

I did a couple of scans showing the difference in linkage. This is a common problem with motor swaps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	six cyl.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	21868   Click image for larger version

Name:	V8 edit.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	21870  
Big Dave and BA. like this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 02:59 PM

We had the same problem on my BBC '66 Impala. We finally got it fixed by lengthening the linkage on the throttle body where the foot-feed rod hooks. We also moved the hole back in the extension a little more closer to the top of the ark of the movement. It will make pedal push EZer & is less sensitive. If you have any ? sent me your phone # & I will call you
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks All,
Love the diagrams thanks - I believe it did have the 283 type from the looks, and I wish I knew what engine came in the car, the only thing I can learn from the cowl tag is 8 Cyl.. But I don't believe in 66 they came with a 396 BB. Probably 283 or 327.

Any way back to the throttle. I removed the mechanical linkage and installed a new bottom hinged pedal with a cable through the firewall and it works fine now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cowl Tag.jpg
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	21884   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181118_084154.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	21886   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181118_084140.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	21888   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181117_164914.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	21890   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181118_084118.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	21892  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
accelerator, gas pedal, throttle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page