Sagging drivers side - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Sagging drivers side

Its a 1964 impala 4 door. Ok so the drivers rear is down 1 1/2. The drivers front is down a 1/2 inch. So far what i have done is put new shocks at all the corners. New springs in rear. All new poly body mounts. New poly bushings in the rear control arms. Still no change. Scratching my head. Next would be the front springs. But i cant see that it would lift the car 3/4 of an inch in the rear. Tje reason i say 3/4 is because i think thats the difference for both sides to be equal not the true 1 1/2 thats down right?. Needs some ideas and helped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Also i forgot it has new boxes in the rear on both sides.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:43 PM

Garage
That's what we call the 'Chevy lean'. If you're driving on a crested road, or if you torque it up, it will ride level!! Seriously, I don't know, but a lot of old Chevys do lean, pretty much as described. . . .

Craig

66 Impala (in progress)
56 stepside shortbed
55 Bel Air sedan
81 Corvette
02 Monte Carlo (bought new)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:21 PM
BA.

Is this a convertible and even if not, have you checked the top of the drivers rear spring pocket to see if it might be rusted and allowing the top of the spring to poke through? I have had 2 leaning situations on my 66. One was a rusty rear spring pocket (convertible) and the other was a bit of a bent frame up front.

Not sure what you're using as your measuring guide, but it sounds like you're using the eyeball method. I'd say stop doing that.
How sure are you that your frame isn't bent/tweaked? I'd say take it to an old school shop and get checked, but, you might get a clue if you can find a flat place to park and measuring from the frame to the ground at different points, front and rear, right and left.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Its a 4 door hard top with posts. I now have it to only 3/4 of an inch in the back after doing shocks all around. I am measuring from a level ground to the lip of the wheel well. When u lift the body in front it lifts the back some. So im gonna try the front springs next. As for the spring perchs they are all solid. One thing that i found in the rear when i was rebuilding it was a bent track bar and a smooshed fuel tank. I was told it was from a forklift at the auction yard. So i put a new fuel tank in and rebent the track bar. Didnt find any other damage. So if i put the front springs in i should get a little height back. If im still down im gonna use an Air lift 1000 kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-03-28-12-45-05_1553791525021.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	22162  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page