odd/stupid issue with 63 - 283 impala.. wont start - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

odd/stupid issue with 63 - 283 impala.. wont start

my new 63 is GREAT, drove it back 6 hours straight from gettin it, no issues, got 19mpg at 65 on the freeway...

anyways..

now when i go to get in it for the first time any day, it wont start unless i give a lil gas down the carb first... after that, its perfect, starts right up all day...

any ideas? im sure its a carb issue, or maybe even a weak fuel pump?

thanks guys...

'63 impala .. finally my dream car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 11:16 AM

Sounds like your fuel is leaking out of the carb over night. You will have to rebuild the carb to fix it as there is a Welch plug in the bottom of the carb that is leaking, or buy one already rebuilt since it is a 283 it probably has a Rochester 2GC carb that isn't that expensive to buy rebuilt in a box ready to bolt on. I would keep your old carb and pay the core charge to have all of the original parts for when it is time to sell the car as everything on it has a quality control date stamp.

Factory uses Welch plugs to seal up the carb where they have to drill passages in the carb to let fuel flow but the differences in the rate of expansion of the different metals causes the plugs to work loose over the decades. You can drill them out and tap it for a screw in pipe plug held fast with thread sealant.

Big Dave
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

ive been reading about this... seems like some people seal them with jb weld even? and that it may have even been done at dealerships this way?

any pics of the location of these on the carbs? i have no problems doin a rebuild myself, just not familiar with this part of the carb..

ps - could this also cause the car to die when driving away from a red light? i have to be REALLLLY gentle on the gas or it will die out.. once im driving, its fine.. seems like same problem..

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 11:25 AM

Sounds like your fuel supply is marginal to low. Check for a clogged gas filter as your accelerator pump isn't getting enough gas to allow you to drive off without running lean. Could also be rust particles clogging the needle and seat inlet.

Big Dave
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

agreed... im too dumb to have even thought about the filter!!! argh... that will be first thing i check... after that maybe ill rebuild the carb for fun anyways, but i wanna end up with an edelbrock setup when i have a lil more money.. a lil 500cfm on a edelbrock performer or somethin intake will do me fine.. i want better mpg not performance LOL.. and ill probably swap to HEI or pertronix, after i do more research on which is better

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 12:31 PM

A Rochester Quadrajet would be the way I would go. Gives great performance matched with the best mileage if you can keep your foot off the throttle. An aftermarket Edelbrock RPM Performer aluminum manifold for a spread bore would help the performance with out hurting your mileage as will a set of headers and dual exhaust.

Big Dave
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

ill look into that thanks! the car came with the stainless dual exhaust from flowmaster...

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

can anyone describe where exactly on hte car im gonna be lookin? i cant find pics anywhere online... jus wanna know where i am gonna be lookin to plug before i take it all apart

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page