No Gas Getting to the Carb Question - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

No Gas Getting to the Carb Question

Hey, everyone. I would like some advice on the following problem. I go to start my '67 and the carb is empty... as in no gas. I've recently installed a clear fuel filter at the carb and notice there is no gas in the line, either. After cranking a while I still do not see gas in the filter. I can pour gas straight down the carb and she starts right up but then promptly dies because of lack of fuel. I'm not a fan of this method as it would be quite hard to keep her running like that.. not to mention the poor gas mileage!

Well, the next day, I go to do more troubleshooting and what do I see the first time she starts to turn over... gas coming through the fuel filter! Once the carb gets fuel, she starts right up and no problem. Hang on... the story doesn't end here.....

About three weeks go by and I go to start her again and find the exact same problem. Only the following day, still no gas getting through. Soooooo... I remove rubber hose that goes from the metal fuel line (at the front of the car right next to the fuel pump) to the fuel pump and I expected to see some fuel there... nope. Dry as a bone.

Shouldn't I have gotten fuel there if all was working well? Does this problem sound like a bad fuel pump or maybe something clogging the line somewhere between the gas tank and the fuel pump?

What is the best way to troubleshoot no fuel getting to the carb problems?

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 06:36 AM

I think that I would start by dropping the fuel tank. Check the filter sock on the sending assembly as well as the inside of the tank. These tanks are vented by a tube that runs up through the trunk so make sure that is clear and not obstructed by rust or damage. When you are sure that there is no obstruction anywhere at the back I would replace the fuel pump as they are not expensive. Also, if this problem only exists when the fuel level is low you can check the position of the inlet line at the sock.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 09:02 AM

Wasps (Mud Daubers) love to clog fuel line vents found above your rear axel. If the car is not parked on the level a pin hole leak in the fuel line would allow fuel to drain back to the tank so that the fuel pump looses it's prime. My solution woul be to add an electric fuel pump in the back and energize it only before you start the car (you can hear the pump change it's tone once the line is pressurized). That way no one can steal your car and you don't have to mess with dropping the tank.

Big Dave (boy I'm getting lazy in my old age).

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

LOL.. interesting idea Big Dave. Thank you both for your replies. I guess the right thing to do is to go ahead and drop the tank as I I've not done that yet and have a good look and then decide where to go from there.

Bob
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 06:07 PM

If you want you can try this...

1. Unhook the vent line under the car (the short rubber hose) and try to blow it out with some compressed air. This will prove if it's plugged.

2. Unhook the rubber fuel line from the pump, then jack up the back of the car. If fuel comes out due to gravity, the line is clear.

3. Unhook the fuel line from the carb (at the carb) and have someone hold the end of it into a small container while you crank the engine over. You can also do this yourself and turn the engine over by hand but it's harder to do it this way.

Hey brother...I'm not a licensed mechanic but I do all of my work myself. If this was my problem, I would try these ideas. All they will cost you is some time and sweat...droping the tank would be my last resort.

Good Luck!!

TIME IS SPEED... SPEED IS TIME...

Last edited by kraneking; 08-13-2010 at 06:09 PM. Reason: forgot something
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Good, sound advice. I appreciate it, Kraneking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fuel, pump

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page