stering problem - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

stering problem

I took out my colum and when i put it back i can now pull my wheel in and out a inch and the horn goes off..What did I do wrong... The breakdown on the colum is not very clear in the manuel..If anyone could send me something,,maybe I left somethin out

Last edited by you loose; 08-23-2010 at 08:30 AM. Reason: forgot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:45 AM

Did you take the steering wheel off or disassemble the colume in any way? From the info you gave I can only think that under the steering wheel there is a spring and below that is a round plastic piece with a wire, that is what contacts that buttons on the wheel. You may want to start there. There is plenty of info. on line about that section. Let us know and good luck.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

i took out the whole thing after i installed 605 ps unit so i need a breakdown so i can see if i left somethin out ,and ive been all over the web to find a breakdown with no luck

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 02:57 PM

Check service manual for key replacement. That should detailk the R&R for your column. By any chance was that a tilt column you took apart?

Big Dave
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

this is a 64 impala no key and no tilt just strait colume
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 05:38 PM

steering problem

If you took the whole thing out you may have loosened the collar on the lower end of the shaft. If you have someone sit and hold the steering wheel in then see if there is a jap at the bottom end if so loosen the collar and push it toward the steering wheel. On my 63 Impala that preloads a spring that sets the lower bearing in place. That worked on the 63 and should bee the same on your 64. Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 08:19 PM

I never did like getting into these thing's. I only got as far as cutting the boss off the shifter collar to have a fake floor shift piece with a reverse lockout from a Chevelle.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 09:22 PM

easy fix
loosen the dash to column bracket nuts, grasp the column at the dash, pull it toward you, and tighten the nuts while holding it in place. An assistant makes the job easier.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 09:34 AM

sloppy steering

i also have a 64 belair with 605 conversion, car seems to wander on the road, everything in front end is new and the only area that i suspect is the slip collar at the top of the intermediate shaft. if i hold the shaft i can move the collar side to side a little, judging from the design, it should only move in and out, this is the bell shaped piece between steering shaft and intermediate, can those small blocks wear out or the collar itself ? the car steering seems too loose to be normal any help? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page