Speedo & odometer not working on 64 - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Speedo & odometer not working on 64

Been doing research and not having any luck. Opinions/advice all over the board.

My speedometer and odometer have never worked on my 64 Impala. Odometer stopped at 24k.

Replaced the Turbo 350 w/ a re-built TB 350 (originally came w/ a Powerglide) and rebulit 327.

My first drive the speedo worked but it wasn't correct. A few minutes later it didn't work at all like usual.

When I first bought the car I removed the speedo from the tranny and (if I remember correctly) my buddy spun it with a power drill and it moved the needle and seemed to work properly at the dash. Didn't pay attention to odometer.

Any ideas on what the solution and/or problem is??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 04:29 PM

The TH350 will need a conversion gear box that goes between the transmission and the cable to get it to read right. If it works with the drill, then it perhaps the cable is worn or otherwise not connecting to the gear in the transmission. The gear itself in the transmission is plastic, and the hole for the cable could be rounded out from abuse. Likewise somebody could have cut the cable short for some strange reason, leaving it with difficulty contacting the gear.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

dcairns...thanks for the reply.

Who sells the conversion box?

Can't be the tranny or the hole. Same problem on 2- different trannys. The catelogs have many different type replacement cable gears not sure which one would work.

Maybe I should try a new cable first.

I see your in Orange, California. Must be nice to have Car Shop in the neighborhood. I order most stuff from CS and Classic. Could save an a$$ load in shipping charges. No shops like that around here. What's your opinion of Car Shop and Classic...quality wise?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 09:43 PM

Speedo gear

First problem sounds like your cable is not making contact either withe the plastic trans gear or in the speedometer head itself. You need to make sure the thumb screw holding the cable into the speedometer head is seated correctly and screwed in tight. Same for trans end.
The second issue is the wrong reading. This occurs because the 1964 never came with a T350 with 14 inch wheels. See the chart on this website for the closest trans/speedometer gear you can find. It is for a Chevelle but it should be very close:
http://chevelleengineer.home.comcast...eer/speedo.htm

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Paul. I'll check it out and you know the result.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page