Oil leak problem - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Oil leak problem

I have oil leak problem on my 04 Impala. I believe oil is coming from the back passenger side of the engine, but can't tell exactly place. I took it to the local garage to get an estimate and they said that the oil pan is leaking so they would replace it for almost $500. I don't have so much money, so I want to do it my own. Just wondering how hard is it to change the oil pan gasket? Is there anything more than just dropping the pan, replacing the gasket and then putting things back together?

Your inputs will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 09:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

You need to get more details. I had leaking oil pan (not gasket) due to age and corrosion. I did replace both (pan and gasket) at the same time. Even on my 1970 it wasn't super easy as the engine had to be lifted a bit for the pan to come out. I would assume that in newer cars it is even harder to get to any part. You can probably do it by yourself but that depends on your skills.

Get service manual for your car and see what the procedure is before you attempt to work on it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 07:15 PM

It will greatly depend on what motor you have. If it's the 3400, I call BS as they RARELY ever leak from the oil pan. Other causes could maybe be the intake manifold or possible a valve cover gasket. If it's the 3800, then yes, it could very well be the pan gasket.

3800 isn't too hard to change the gasket, IIRC. 3400 pan gasket really can't be done without pulling the motor or tranny. It is a cast aluminum pan with cross bolts for the main bearing caps. But like I said, they basically never leak there.

'69 Impala 4-door hardtop
'70 Impala Custom coupe

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 08:01 AM

Find out for a fact where it is leaking first. Go to another shop put it on a lift and make them show you the leak. Or jack it up your self clean the area drive it look again . It could be moving down from above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page