64 Impala Engine Coolant Heating-up! - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

64 Impala Engine Coolant Heating-up!

Trying to lower temps on my 64 Impala w/built-up bullet-proof 283. I have a standard 2-core radiator, shroud, fan and fan clutch. When cruising on a hot day the temps are in the 225 to 230 range with a 160 stat. I want to lower temps so maybe this will help others. First, changed the fan to a 19"- 6-blade steel, 36 deg type from the local speed shop. Got rid of the fan clutch and installed a spacer with the new fan. Also put in a cooling additive that racers use to eliminate hot air bubbles in the water jackets that attech themselves to surfaces internally. After driving the car about 50 miles on a hot day the temps actually dropped to stabalize at 220. Total cost was $74.00. Next I will add-on a crossflow radiator to drop it a bit more and will post the results here. Hope this to be helpful to others.
Jim

Last edited by 64obsession; 06-24-2007 at 08:16 AM. Reason: misspelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 09:11 AM

Thats still way hotter than I would like. My 454 built runs 200 at the highest on a hot day, my 383 stroker and 327 run 190 every day. You could have a timming problem or maybe your gauge dosen't read correctly. I do run a 4 core radiator on the 454 and the 327, Irun a 3 core on the 383 stroker. All my rods are standard trans also.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 02:54 AM

They make aluminum radiators, without going to a cross flow. The water wetter works but I do not like the idea of going without the clutch on the fan. It wastes your gas by pulling power when not needed (like at cruising speed, or when engine is cold). The single most important thing is a fan shroud that covers the tips of the fan blades.

Big Dave

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 11:30 PM

Jim,I'm a little late on this post(I just came aboard).Make sure your fan is inside the fan shroud.Also another way possible is to go to a smaller diameter water pump pulley.This will cause the water pump to turn faster.I also suggest you put that clutch back on the the fan.You are wasting extra gas there and its really not helping you at all with the temperature.Try back flushing the heater core and radiator,could be clogged slightly causing the car to run hot. Good luck,John
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 01:25 PM

Cooling

Use a 4 core radiator. It will bolt up fine.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 06:04 PM

I have a spare mechanical temp gauge just for these probs, don't cost much and you can route it temp to check stuff. my 61 283 runs cool with the clutch fan, stock radiator (I never had it cleaned) and no fan shroud( looking for one) I just run a 50/50 mix of cheap anti-freeze. I'm thinking paintjohn has hit your problem, maybe wrong pulley and the pump is not turning the right rpm. Overheating was not a problem with these cars, so something has changed.And, in my opinion a 160 thermostat is too cool, I would use a 180 minimum to help prevent sludge.Also, the pump could be turning too fast and not letting the water stay in the radiator long enough to cool it down.

Last edited by dgwar; 03-26-2008 at 06:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page