carb help - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

carb help

how hard is it to rebuild a 2 jet rodchester..my car stalls after driving for and hour..there is fuel on the manifold and in the air filter..will the rebuild fix my stalling or is there another problem i am over looking..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 10:10 PM

Sounds like the needle and seat is getting stuck open.

Mine used to give me a kinds of trouble (the carb in general). It was to the point I could pull it off the motor, take it apart, fix whatever was wrong, put it back together, bolt it back on, and then have it running again... all in about 15 minutes... even outside when snowing.

In short, it's a very simple carb that a teenager with little experience can master.

Also, I ended up having an accelerator pump bore that was warped, and there was now way to get rid of an off-idle stumble. I put on a Holley 4bbl and never looked back.

'69 Impala 4-door hardtop
'70 Impala Custom coupe
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 10:14 PM

need a better description of what it does and doesn/t do.
like... after stall does it start right back up or need to cool off, etc.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 10:19 PM

Fuel on the manifold and filter is the key. The fuel bowl is over flowing and leaking out the vent.

'69 Impala 4-door hardtop
'70 Impala Custom coupe
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

it will start right back up but wil stall about a block later..it gets harder to start each time after it stalls
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 09:43 PM

Stalling-fuel on manifold

Sounds like carb. is flooding,possible dirty needle and seat, heavy saturated float. Easy to rebuild but additional parts that aren't in the kit, float and choke pull-off can cost more than a prof. rebuilt one.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 12:08 AM

Problems you are experiencing sounds like a gummed up carb from burning bad (old) gas.

I just hauled off 63 gallons of gasoline to the county dump for disposal as hazardous waste yesterday because it had been sitting in my motor home for over two years. Even with Sta-Bil in the tank when purchased and Sea-Foam added after a couple of years I wasn't going to risk ruining ten injectors with bad gas.

You will need to boil your carb in carb cleaner (disassemble it first then let it soak for a several hours) and rebuild it with a kit, or buy a rebuilt unit off the shelf if you are not looking for a numbers matching car (or buy a rebuilt carb and pay the core fee to keep your old carb).

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page