Interior Light issue, answer me this: - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to medisalle
Interior Light issue, answer me this:

Howdy motorheads! I have another perplexing problem .. so I thought I'd ask you guys for advice here ... I'm betting it's a simple fix.

Sometimes (like last night when my neighbor knocked at the door to tell me) the interior light in my Impala stays / switches on for no reason. Most times it stays off, and most of the time it's okay but occasionally I find it on, so I disconnected the bulb again.

The light switch on the dash works (original and cranky) - and I can switch it on that way. The door switches don't seem to activate the dome light though, so I'm betting perhaps it's a bad switch?

Or is it possible the headlight switch is the cause? Anyone have this issue before ?

M.

'63 Impala Sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 05:27 PM

Dome lights are powered all the time it goes to ground through the door jam switch (push in breaks the circuit to ground). Same with your dash light you are turning it around to allow a ground contact to make a connection. So I assume your wiring has a short in it that is completing the circuit to ground somewhere. The short is in the ground wire (which I believe is the white wire, though you can test the orange or white to see which is the hot wire). You will have to test the ground segment of the wireing circuit to find where the insulation has worn or broken away to expose the wire (this is beacuse if the short was on the hot side it would pop the fuse). The first thing I would check is the light switch as it can be shorting the wire to ground.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Dave: (Thanks!) - do you mean the light switch in the door jamb ?

'63 Impala Sedan

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 07:43 AM

Door jam has two bayonet switches (one for each front door) as the door opens the spring pushes the contact to ground. If the switch is rusty the spring could be broken and making an intermitent conatct with the wire. If that were the case then the door switch wouldn't work as the spring has to make the contact.

Big Dave
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 07:45 AM

Interior lights

Take a small piece of fine grit sand paper or a file file and clean up the contacts all around the door jam bullet swithces where they contact each other when the door is opened. I would bet it's a simple grounding issue.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, all - ordering new switches today.. I'll letcha know how it turns out. Cheers!

'63 Impala Sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page