Idle stop Solenoid ( Car won't start ) - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Idle stop Solenoid ( Car won't start )

My father n Law came over last Friday and I mentioned that the car was idling high. He made some adjustments to a couple of things. One I've since learned was the Idle stop solenoid. The other is I think the idle speed adjustment screw.

It idled lower after the adjustments and shut the car off thinking nothing of it. Went out Monday to start it and it won't start. It turns over but doesn't seem like it's getting gas. I think I found how to begin with the Idle speed adjustment screw where you tighten til it just touches the fast idle cam and then one full turn. I know it's a little more complicated then that and I'm trying to learn but I first need to learn what all the parts are because as I read things I'm struggling with what's what.

My question is I'm not able to find much on the Idle stop solenoid adjusting and how to go about that or even which way to turn.

I'll tap on the gas tank first though to make sure it's not empty and my gas gauge isn't broke.

Aside from this I'm not sure what else to do other then call him to see if he can fix it. I kinda wanted to try and see if maybe I could get it running on my own. It's really the only way I'm going to learn.

I good book on Carburetors is in order. Rochester with diagrams and really simple instructions to follow. If there is such a beast please let me know.

If I'm out of my league by attempting to mess with Carburetors and being a newbie then let me know that too.

So far the only thing recently I've done was the Valve cover gasket swap and will be doing my first oil change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1791  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Gas tank seemed to be on the hollow side after a little tapping. Put in 5 gallons and it started. Guess my gauge is stuck on half. I'll be reading the post about the person with the stuck gas gauge.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 07:42 PM

Well, so you know if you need to adjust.
the screw controls base idle. It should just barely idle..
The solenoid is what you set the Idle with. The idea is that when you turn off the key, the solenoid lets the idle fall back and cuts the fuel to prevent run on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
72 impala, carburetor, chevrolet, rochesters

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page