Low Oil Pressure - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Low Oil Pressure

So a few weeks ago I was replacing my valve cover gaskets when I accidentally overtorqued a bolt and cracked the valve cover so I drove it up to the parts store and got new ones. I replaced them, the only thing is that the old ones had a PCV valve on both sides where the new ones just have one PCV valve on one side and a breather on the other. But I just plugged the hose coming off from the carb but ever since then my oil pressure has been around 20-40 at acceleration and 10-20 at idle. It is normal at first when I start it up but then it goes down as I drive, what could be causing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 10:15 PM

10-20 at idle is acceptable. You only need 10 psi for every 1000 rpm, so you only need to worry if the pressure keeps dropping.

Do you have a mechanical or electric gauge?

'69 Impala 4-door hardtop
'70 Impala Custom coupe
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 08:59 AM

You need an clean filtered air supply of air going into the engine to be able to suck out the blow by gasses that get into the crank case. That is why there is a hole in each valve cover normally. One for the PCV the other for the rubber hose to the air cleaner (which houses the filter). Air flow through the block shouldn't affect your oil pressure one way or the other, so I have no idea why changing the valve covers would affect oil pressure.

Big Dave

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Well right before I did that it was 65 on acceleration and 35 solid on idle. Right after I did that is when it happened. It sat with the valve covers off for a day or two because I couldn't get a ride and then after I got it back on the road the oil pressure was bad. And it's an aftermarket electrical gauge. That's the problem though, it keeps dropping
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Appreciate the help by the way
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 07:04 PM

Well with valve covers off something might have gotten into the motor and is now clogging the oil pick-up inlet. Only way to know for sure is to drop the pan and inspect it. May find a dead tree frog or a snake that crawled into a hole to see if there was anything to eat; or a handful of blown hay; I have no idea, but just having only one hole in valve cover won't do it.

Big Dave
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 09:15 PM

check the pressure with a mechanical gauge...they are pretty cheap and a nice tool to have.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Alright I've been thinking about it being the pan but I didn't want to drop it until I have a gasket for it because I'm sure it needs to be replaced anyways. And alright I'll go pick up a mechanical one from O'reilly's. Thanks for the help! I'll let you know what I find when I drop the pan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page