Car will not turn over - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Question Car will not turn over

To start, i've had my '01 impala 3.4 v6 for about three to four months now. There have been a few issues along the way, but recently the car has been fine. Anyway, the other day i drove the car to and from work maybe a total of two hours( one there, one back). At the end of the day it was parked while visiting relatives. When I went to leave, the car failed to start. The first attempt at turning the key resulted in just the accesory lights and radio to come on as well as a puff of white smoke from the passenger's side of the engine compartment. lifting the hood, i found it was coming from the fuse box area. since that first attempt, i've continued trying to start only to come up with the same result minus the smoke. the battery was resently tested to be fine, i have checked all fuses, checked battery terminal connections, cleaned grounds, had starter tested also to be fine, and the ignition switch has been replaced. After thumbing through my Hayne's i thought it might be the Neutral Safety Switch, although when i looked in the engine compartment, the switch was nowhere to be found. i traced the shifter cable to where it connects to a bracket. At this location there are two pressumable bolt holes along with a metal "prong" from the transmission, which the bracket that holds the shifter cable is. my thoughts are that the switch is missing, although im not sure if or how it would have been bypassed. now an interesting note that may be significant is that my steering wheel no longer locks up like it used to. this is why i came to the idea of the NSS. ive tried starting in Neutral, ive tried wiggling the bracket attached to the shifter cable while turning the ignition, and ive tried reafing on the shifter to maybe somehow get the car to notice it's in park. nothing has worked thus far and im not sure what to do next. im trying my best to avoid sending this car to a mechanic because i don't have alot of money. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. p.s. i appolegize for the puncuation and grammar along with the length of this post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 03:13 PM

Just a thought since my impala is a lot older than yours....but, you said all fuses check out to be good...what about a starter relay switches that may be in the fuse box?

Just a thought...as something in the fuse box obviously went south with the puff of smoke.
Good luck!

hammerit-
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

i know my dad and i had swapped the ignition relay with another vehicle and it checked out fine, as for other relays, a close friend of ours who is a mechanic looked the fuse box up and down along with the wires and things coming from it and he was also stumped. thank you for the reply by the way

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 01:47 PM

No problem...With out actually being at the vehicle to rub/kick/cuss it...its kinda hard to figure this stuff out..
Not sure if it would help but you could attempt to connect a remote starter on it...see if you can fire it via starter less the iggy switch...just a thought...good luck!!

Hammerit-
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerit- View Post
No problem...With out actually being at the vehicle to rub/kick/cuss it...its kinda hard to figure this stuff out..
Not sure if it would help but you could attempt to connect a remote starter on it...see if you can fire it via starter less the iggy switch...just a thought...good luck!!

Hammerit-
I use a screw driver jamming it between the primary power cable (the big one) and the purple wire next to the block to force the solenoid to engage. There will be power to the ignition when you do this only so long as you maintain contact so the motor will die right after you start it unless the ignition switch is turned on.

Big Dave
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 04:03 PM

^ This is more fun at night, with out a flashlight.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

so an update...brought the car to a shop. the mechanic said there were some burnt wires under the dash and near the firewall...not even two weeks later, the car will not start again.. about a week ago i went to pull out of the store and noticed that it took two attempts to start and then the other day it happened today. although since it started anyways it didnt worry me quite as much untill today when i attempted to start it multiple time with no luck. im suspecting all they did was a patch job and some toasted wires need to be replaced still. im not sure. any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 06:37 PM

Your car's wiring is old (copper corrodes and turns green with time) and the insulation gets brittle and flakes off. Add to this a lot of people aren't the worlds greatest electricians; but because with only 12 volts you can not get killed they feel free to have at the wiring with a kitchen knife and a roll of K-Mart 89 cent electrical tape. Further consider the fact that the factory was cheap with the car's wiring to start with. Cutting every wire just long enough to stretch from point to point without any slack. And they used the smallest size wire that they could get away with because copper has never been a cheap metal (to find or mine through out time).

I recommend a full replacement wiring harness with heavier than stock gage wire. You can find them as universal kits that universally fit nothing but are easy to install and modify to work in your car (just count the number of fuses you have now and add a few more to grow with) as they sell their wiring kits by the number of circuits you need. You can buy these kits from Painless or American Wire.

Your other option is to buy a brand new 19?? (I don't know what year Impala we are talking about here) from Classic Industries that is just like what Chevrolet installed at the factory when your car was new. They do not use a larger gage wire as they are trying to allow you to restore your car to 19?? specifications.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page