2000 Impala starting problem - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

2000 Impala starting problem

I recently replaced the battery in March, but lately, when starting the car, the engine does not crank as fast as it use to. Now today it just stopped altogether. All lights, horn, windows, etc. all work fine. The starter relay seems to engage. I was moving all the wires/cables and I did get the solenoid to "click" a couple of times, then it stopped again. My guess is the starter solenoid is bad. I guess I can take the starter out of the car and test the starter with some direct connect jumper cables to see if it spins and make a further determination then. I am reading allot about BCMs, PassLock, ignition switches, but my feeling is it's just the starter. Any recommendations or past experience you can offer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 08:27 AM

Sounds like you are on the right track.
I have seen several incidents where a bad connection from the battery to the starter can
cause charging systems issues that resemble bad battery, alt. etc..

Dont be fooled by all accessories working and the car wont start...The battery still may not be getting a full charge from the alternator...That alt should have the internal regulator that could be bad. Most local auto parts stores will check your charging system for free. They will let you know if all is well and if not...what it could be.

Best of luck,

Hammerit-

Last edited by hammerit-; 07-08-2011 at 08:29 AM. Reason: forgot some words..lol
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply. I have an extra jumper battery that I tried and unfortunately the car is in a friend's driveway. I was going to try to bypass the solenoid but it is in such an awkward position. I'll disconnect the exiting battery and try an alternate, then I think the starter is out of there. Check all the connections, run some cables to it and see what happens! Thanks!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 09:13 PM

I just had this issue and my mechanic just called me tonight saying it was a ignition module for 443 with labor

If you find it is something else or cheaper etc I'd like to know

2000 Chevy Impala LS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page