2006 3.9 engine problems - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

2006 3.9 engine problems

new to the forum so blast away! i have a 2006 impala with the 3.9 and since owing it i have had to have the fuel pump replaced and there are only 70,000 km on the engine. I have had the engine light come on now about 5 times and had to spray throttle body spray on the butterfly valve and it has seem to have fixed the problem temporary! The engine light and the traction control light also with engine lacking power coming on every time is now frustrating me . It comes on now every 300 to 500 kms. Can someone point me in the right direction before i bring the car to the dealer for a hosing i do not want to pay for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 09:37 PM

I had the same issue with my 09'. It would go into a limp mode which I could not get above 30 mph. After it sat for 30 mins. it was OK for awhile.
I took it to the dealer while it was running fine and they could not find anything. This trip happend 3x's.
What I did was purchase a code scanner at the parts house and checked any codes. The next time it happened, I scanned and a low voltage at the MAF (throttle body). I told the dealership about this and they disregarded my little scanner's code's.
The next time it happened I drove it to the dealership with it in limp mode so they know what I was going through and the final decision was the what I told them. Chevy understood that I did'nt feel safe in that vehicle anymore so they placed me in an upgraded 10' model with no cost.
I would check electrical connections around the throttle body; blockages etc. first as it is the cheapest. OBDII scanners are cheap and can tell you alot. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

06 impala fixed

Thanks 68imp for your impute! when the dealer told me i was losing voltage at the throttle position sensor so the mechanic would have too find why and they put on the scanner and it came up with a wack of codes and in the end he had to take the intake manifold off to find that there are wires that travell under there! He finally found a wire that was kinked at the factory and was rubbing against the powersteering pump and it was shorting out. So hopefully some of this info will help others out.

Thanks again 68 and good to be part of this forum !

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 01:20 AM

welcome to the forum bikermike! i also experience that kind of problem but i am a bit luckier because i found out an independent mechanic near my place that will not charge a murderous labor price. i really thought im gonna be changing some chevy engine parts which will ruin my savings luckily my problem was just similar as yours! lol for you to have an idea on the prices here is a list of chevy engine parts

Last edited by masterjohnson; 12-10-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page