66 impala wont start - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

66 impala wont start

i just recently bout a 66 impala. it has been running fine since ive had it. this morning i went to go take it for a ride and wouldnt start. it displayed COLD and OIL PRESS on the dash which i have no clue what that means. i waited 10 minds before trying again and nothing. it has gas and i tryed jumper cabeling it but nothing. just doesnt start at all. battery is fairly new and i know isnt dead. does anyone have any suggestions about what i can do or how to fix it. could it be the starter,ignition switch, just too cold to start????..if anyone knows please writeback its greatly appreciated thanks. PLEASE HELP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 10:34 PM

It says COLD because the motor is cold. It has not reached it's operating temperature. The OIL light is lit because the motor is not running and has no oil pressure with the ignition on.

I can not teach mechanics, theory of internal combustion or do a diagnosis of a car over a thousand miles away by way of the internet (at least not in one post). If you have no clue at all as to how a car works other than inserting a key and turning it, I strongly suggest taking it to a certified mechanic to diagnose your problem such as your local Chevrolet dealership.

Big Dave
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

how do you warm up the motor if the car doesnt start? how do you fix the oil pressure issue? do i need an oli pressure gauge? add more oil or what? i appreciate the info.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 04:54 AM

The lights come on to show you that they are still working whenever you turn on the key. You should have a GEN light lit up, a TEMP light, as well as a BRAKE light also to show you that the bulbs are all good. All will go out within seconds of the car cranking (except the cold light).

No one on this board knows why your car isn't cranking up. And you have demonstrated by asking these questions that there is no one on the other end of this conversation with enough mechanical aptitude to assist us in helping you. So as with many issues in life I suggest you get professional help.

Big Dave
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 01:37 PM

Engine needs at least three things to start air, fuel and spark. If you haven't checked these that is where I would start. If you don't know how to check these then like Dave said seek professional help. PS fairly new battery doesn't reassure us that its not dead. You could have left the lights on or parasitic drain could have caused it to deplete.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogman75 View Post
Engine needs at least three things to start air, fuel and spark. If you haven't checked these that is where I would start. If you don't know how to check these then like Dave said seek professional help. PS fairly new battery doesn't reassure us that its not dead. You could have left the lights on or parasitic drain could have caused it to deplete.
It sounds like his issue is getting power to the starter, or the starter itself.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:50 PM

Baby steps

First of all as soon as you turn the key on a 66 the idiot lights on the dash light up, the cold will stay on until the engine heats up, the oil light will stay on until the oil pressure builds, they will not go off if the car does not start,
Second, you said the car won't start, is it cranking, clicking making any noise, tell us exactly what it does.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page