Help needed with assembling a 327 - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Smile Help needed with assembling a 327

Hi guys,

We have a 4 door 1967 Impala with the 327 engine. The engine bay is in pieces and we trying to put the vehicle back together but as the power steering pump has been removed as has the alternator we are not sure which tensioning bracket bolts onto where and a few other bits and pieces which we are stuck on.
My question is, does anyone have pictures or would be able to take close up photos of a '67 327 complete engine and post them up? It would help and save time putting this old beauty back together.
Much appreciated.

Dave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 09:54 AM

You might also consider buying an Assembly manual. It is an instruction manual showing how the car is put together showing every part that bolts onto your car (with part numbers) which is helpful because most GM parts are stamped with their part numbers.

Big Dave
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 09:51 PM

Take a look at the pictures in my 67 sharesite (see signature line below). There should be some to help you. I have lots more if you need more.

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 05:45 AM

Welcome to the Team Dave!

Didn't notice it was your first post till now.

Big Dave
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossil_Fuel View Post
Take a look at the pictures in my 67 sharesite (see signature line below). There should be some to help you. I have lots more if you need more.
Thank you so much for the link, they have helped ALOT, I am trying to figure out how and where the power steering pump tentioning bracket bolts onto? Do you have a close up picture of that?
With all the relays and other electric components, did you buy new ones or are they the originals restored?

Dave.

Thank you for the welcome BigDave!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 12:37 AM

Dave,
I have tried to save all the original components as much as possible so the alternator, regulator, Horn relay, switches, etc are the originals as much as possible. I took the headlight switch all apart to clean all the contacts and now the dimmer works great. I did get new wiring harness from AAW since the mice had chewed up some wires and they were very brittle from age.

My radio and 8-track are all originals restored also.

Send me a PM with your E-mail and I will take a few close-ups for you.

I will probably be out of touch for a day or so.

Good Luck,
Craig

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossil_Fuel View Post
Dave,
I have tried to save all the original components as much as possible so the alternator, regulator, Horn relay, switches, etc are the originals as much as possible. I took the headlight switch all apart to clean all the contacts and now the dimmer works great. I did get new wiring harness from AAW since the mice had chewed up some wires and they were very brittle from age.

My radio and 8-track are all originals restored also.

Send me a PM with your E-mail and I will take a few close-ups for you.

I will probably be out of touch for a day or so.

Good Luck,
Craig
Hi there,
Thank you so much for helping me out! The photos I have already looked through have helped me alot and if you do have some more detailed photos of anything in the engine bay that would be a massive help.
My email is : [email protected]

Also, quick question...the tensioning bracket for the alternator (the one that runs over the top of the alternator) is that doubled up? 2 next to each other? It looks that way by the photo.

Regards,
Dave.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 09:05 AM

To my knowledge the factory used a dual sheave pulley only on the 78 AMP rated alternator. This HD alternator was used if you had a big block with A/C, or power windows (or a bunch of other heavy electrical loads), or you were willing to pay extra for the HD electrical option (which also got you a bigger battery and heavier gauge battery cables). It was a common option on Olds, Buick and Cadillac cars that had a lot of electrical accessories.

Big Dave
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 09:11 AM

We are working on my son's 67 Impala now. Pulling 327 engine to clean up and install new cam, intake, carb, valve covers and a set of headers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JR's 67 Impala 021.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	2524   Click image for larger version

Name:	JR's 67 Impala 017.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	2525  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
We are working on my son's 67 Impala now. Pulling 327 engine to clean up and install new cam, intake, carb, valve covers and a set of headers.
Do you have any other close up photos of the engine? You can see in that photo of the engine that the alternator tensioning brackets are doubled up, theres 2 next to each other, i wasnt sure whether the other bracket belonged somewhere else or whether they were bolted up side by side as they are in that photo.
If you would have a photo of where the power stearing tensioning bracket bolts onto would be great. From what I figure it bolts between the block and the engine mount is this correct? You can just see the bracket in your photo but no how its bolted in

Dave.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 09:52 AM

Yes it bolts under the motor mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JR's 67 Impala 023.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	2526   Click image for larger version

Name:	JR's 67 Impala 024.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	2527  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page